Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grubs in my composter

Posted by FishingGardener California (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 19:17

Our composter has a very large population of grubs. I'm noexpert on bugs but googling indicates they might be black soldier fly larvae. The primary inputs to our composter are kitchen scraps and grass clippings. We don't get much browns except in winter and late fall when we can get leaves. It also gets small amounts of paper (napkins, mostly).

These larvae swarm any kitchen scraps thrown in and reduce them to nothing in just a day or two. There are so many I can hear them if I put my head right over the composter. Our composter used to contain hundreds, probably thousands of redworms,such that I never had to buy any for fishing. This year there are very few worms and more of those larvae than any other year. The compost below the top levels is dark colored and smelly.

They gross my wife out and she keeps wanting to dig a big hole and bury the compost and start over. I keep telling her I don't think we need to and so far that's kept her at bay.

If these are BSFL, I gather they aren't harmful but my wife would rather not have them. Is there anything that will get rid of them without otherwise harming the compost, the worms, or making it unsuitable as fertilizer for a vegetable garden? That probably restricts it to an organic solution, or something nearly organic.

Photo is attached. They are on top of a napkin inside the shell or a large kabocha. Longest ones are about 3/4 of an inch, shortest ones are about 1/4 of an inch.

Thanks for any info!

Image link: Grubs in my composter (33 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grubs in my composter

I know a woman who lets her chickens eat them. I heard wasp's work also. But I think the best bet is to remove them by hand. I would think the chickens would eat the worms also.

They are beneficial to the pile anyways. So I think leaving them would be OK

http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/publications/epubs/eee_00001.cfm

o
RE: Grubs in my composter

Technically, Black Fly Larvae (BSF) will not harm red worms. However, the conditions that BSF like are not the same conditions that the red worms like.

BSF are prolific when there is too much water and/or too much food in a bin for the worms. Reduce the amount of food going into the bin and back off of the water added. Most people that ask me about this issue also see improvement when they stop blending any food inputs, as well.

Add more carbon based fiber, such as coir, paper or straw.

Since you fish, though, you might find it interesting that fish love BSF, and some are finding a booming business selling BSF to fishermen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here