Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Compost' at Lowes?

Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 18, 12 at 2:26

Lowes has this "Organic Compost derived from Cow Manure" there. It's ~ $1.75 a bag.

I don't have a spot for a compost pile so I buy it to amend my soil in raised gardens. I mix it with fine peat as it seems to also have a some sand in it. Everything does really well growing in it.

Does anyone else us this stuff?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Compost' at Lowes?

That seems to be in the 'budget' category for store-bought stuff, which is not intended as a criticism by the way. After doing some lab tests on various composts, I've found you kind of get what you pay for.

You've already found it has some sand, and if your soil is heavy (clay) that's not a bad thing. It does take up space in the bag that would otherwise be organic matter, which is another way of saying the bag isn't all compost. That's one reason it's cheaper than the 'premium' compost products.

The bag of Lowes cow manure I analyzed last year (which is probably not from the same original source, but just to illustrate) was relatively low in organic matter, middle of the road on nutrients and total salts (conductivity), and pH was neutral.

There is certainly nothing wrong with this stuff and I've used many bags of inexpensive compost and topsoil from the big box stores.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here