Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floyd2006

Motorized small soil sifter?

floyd2006
17 years ago

Would anyone have a small motorized vibrating soil sifter for sale or know of any companies that manufacture one? A home-made one would be fine. By small, I suppose I mean suitable for a large garden operation with perhaps a screen area no bigger than 6 x 8'. I would like to use it for sifting soil and compost, but also for archeological digging. I am aware of plans for turning a cement mixer into an economical sifter, which is great for soil sifting but potentially damaging to artifacts, Hence the need for a vibrating one. Economical small industrial sizes, hopefully on wheels, such as used by nurseries are of interest, too.

Comments (14)

• donn_
    17 years ago

A commercially made screener in the size you mention will run from $7-20,000, depending on features and motor size. They can also be acquired used, or rented.

The link below is to the results of a Google search which lists several options.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Sifters

• floyd2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Donn. But ouch on the prices. Seems there must be a better way if one can re-fit a cement mixer for a couple hundred. If anyone know of any plans for a vibrating unit, let me know. I've always thought about trying to convert an old grain sifter or fanning mill to a soil sifter.

Really appreciate your thoughts about the soil marketing. I hope to have a little time to talk with a guy who called in TX soon and a few other people about this and then I'll post a follow-up.

• donn_
    17 years ago

Floyd,

I look forward to hearing what you do with this field. I'd also be curious about what archaeological goodies you find in it.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

I can't help you with the sifter, but being a wannabe archaeologist and a history buff, I'm very curious about just what it is you are digging for! Do you help out at area sites, or are you going to be looking for something on your own property? (if I may be so nosy!)

Dee

• Lloyd
    17 years ago

I'm not sure if you are looking for a mechanically or hand fed.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:257880}}

• donn_
    17 years ago

Dee,

Floyd's thread on the Professional Gardener Forum will explain it for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Professional Gardener Forum

• ezscreen
    16 years ago

Affordable Motorized Screener/Sifter with a variety of screen openings available. $595 plus freight. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: EZ SCREEN 100/200

• alphonse
    16 years ago

If you're handy you can bang one together for cheap.It won't take front loader quantities but can handle several shovelers,and might be better suited for the archeologic aspects.
    If you are interested I could describe.Not being a fast typist I won't presently.

• dizynstar
    16 years ago

I have a small electric screener I bought four years ago. It has a screening surface of approx. 30 x 30" and wheels to pull it around. It's a great tool! A great time saver... http://www.soilscreener.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Better Built Soil Screeners

• elphaba_gw
    16 years ago

Here's a whole body vibration platform for $347 at Amazon that I've been thinking about for health reasons. Would work if you put a bowl with a stationary sifter, I think. There are cheaper versions but they have a post up thru the middle to hold on to for $199.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whole Body Vibration - flat bed

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    16 years ago

For years I used a home made sifter of about four square feet with a handle on each end and with a lot of hip motion it screened through half inch mesh pretty good. At a garage sale I bought a foot bath vibrator for five dollars and mounted the vibrator motor on top of the sifter. The sifter I them mounted of four springs that would allow the sifter to vibrate. The whole thing is then set on top of a wheel barrow and plugged in to electricity. It never gets tired and all I do is shovel on the compost and throw away what won't go through the screen. Al

• dizynstar
    15 years ago

I have a small screener. Runs on electric. You can fit a wheelbarrow beneath it to catch the dirt. Runs pretty quiet. Very reliable machine. I keep it under my deck with a tarp over it. but the legs can be removed for storage. The top screen area measures about 30x30 inches..It cost me about $700. Check out http://www.soilscreener.com

Here is a link that might be useful: www.soilscreener.com

• windclimber
    15 years ago

Just Curious Floyd, should you see this, How is the farm and are you still holding on to that 10 acres of soil containing the artifacts?

Tom

• drafted72
    15 years ago

Last year in this forum, I saw that a guy was showing pictures of his screener he made out of an old washing machine motor and wood. I looked like it worked pretty good, since he was loading it a backhoe.

You may want to search for it.

Good luck