Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cedar "trash"

Posted by ChickenCoupe 7a (seobonbon@gmail.com) on
Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 5:48

Hiya

We burn a wood stove to heat our home and this year we acquired mostly (well-aged!) cedar. I don't recommend it, btw. It's great as kindling or as a hot-boost in the fire. It's a closed stove, btw (cedar can be dangerous).

The result of sawing, chopping and splitting left much cedar saw dust on the ground as well as "trash". Cedar is highly flammable and I must sweep/rake up all of the cedar "trash" consisting of pieces of wood, cedar bark (which is often stringy) and the likes.

What is the best way to repurpose this cedar wood trash? We are using as much as we can for kindling (safely), but the smaller pieces leave me scratching my head. I'll will need to burn it (responsibly), otherwise.

I have a home vegetable garden. I also have rabbits and dogs.

Can I use it in the soil? I don't think I can use it in the rabbit cages. I've heard cedar is bad for their lungs? *shrugs

What would you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cedar "trash"

There are different species of cedar. The ones we have here in the southwest are Juniperus osteosperma (Utah Juniper), and Juniperus monosperma (one seed juniper.

They have stringy bark, the wood is very rot / termite resistant, but they aren't particularly dangerously flammable.

Anyway, I've used it extensively for firewood, and the trash - mostly stringy bark and saw dust, gets used as mulch. It lasts 3-5 years.

o

I woudl also recommend mulching with the small sticks and twigs. It's fairly rot resistant (more or less depending on species) so it is a long lasting mulch. You can put ugly sticks etc. down first and cover with a prettier mulch if you like.

o

Thank you for the input. I hate to trash anything. I wasn't certain if it was okay for mulch, or not. Using it as a mulch in the garden will allow me to keep it moist. I may need to scoop it up in July and August, but there's not too much of it to be a hassle. Or I could bury what's left.

tx!

o

Those are good "browns" for the compost pile.

o

Mulch with it or toss it in the compost pile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here