Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best fertilizer for Junipers

Posted by yaronv (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 16, 10 at 7:00

Hello everybody.

I am trying to find a good NPK ratio for growing Junipers, or some other fertilizer for such plants.

Thanks in advance for your tips.
Yaron.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best fertilizer for Junipers

What you might need will depend on your soil and the nutrients that soil contains. Plants need a balanced food supply, just as we do, so you add to the soil what the plants need and the only way to know that is with a good, reliable soil test.
Other than "fertilizer" most all plants do much better in a soil well amended with organic matter.

o

Of all the conifers, junipers are some of the most adaptable as far as soil conditions are concerned. They don't even want much in the way of organic matter -- as long as drainage is good, they should be good to go with little, if any, fertilizing. Like maybe never :-)

Why do you think they may need fertilizing?

o

Hope you don't mind me butting in Yaron, but I have a question which may help if answered.

I have a Whichita Blue Juniper which - apparently - is a fullproof plant, yet it doesn't grow as well as I would expect. Barely any new growth last year. I've had to remove three Rocket Junipers for 'browning' and lack of new growth... What would be an ideal PH level for these plants?

We have high acidity being in the nor'east. Great for native pines/spruces/rhodies, but what about Junipers? Do they prefer a more alkaline soil?

I spent a couple of hours yesterday doing the google things trying to find an answer to this, but no-go. I'm starting to think this may be the issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here