Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Difference between Mehlich III and modified morgan soil test

Posted by herbal z7 MD (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 7:52

Can you explain the difference between these two tests. I've read on here that modified morgan tests more accurately on acidic soil. Does mehlich test accurately on alkaline and acidic? Which is "better"? I'm new to soil testing. I'm planning on growing high brix, nutrient-dense vegetables and fruit trees. I'm considering using logan labs, but want to understand the difference in testing modalities, in layman's terms please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Difference between Mehlich III and modified morgan soil test

The difference is in the extractant used to mix with the soil sample and which one is used is critical. I'd suggest you contact your state's extension service to find out which extract and methoe is best for your soil, they will want to know where you live in order to determine your soil type. State universities have spent decades and a great deal of money developing various extractants and methodologies for testing soils TO ACCURATELY PREDICT plant response to both no action and adding specific fertilizers in very specific amounts in different ways. I'm going to guess that the Morgan method has not been through such vigorous testing on a wide variety of crops in a wide range of soils for all parts of the country. BTW, there is also a Mehlich II, not to confuse you more.

Not to toot my horn but, I have spent many years of my life in vegetable crops nutrition research at a university and know what I'm talking about. If you want to go with the private lab that is touting their own method, that's your call, if you do, submit a portion of the sample both to the Morgan lab and another to the lab your extension service aims you to, the results may prove to be illuminating if you try the recommendations for both in your garden, side by side.

Here's a link to a lab that uses the Morgan extract, some folks here like Dr. Reams' philosophy, I want to see the science to back claims, kind of a pain in the rear that way.

Here is a link that might be useful: IAL

o
RE: Difference between Mehlich III and modified morgan soil test

Thank you, that was very helpful. I had begun looking at IAL, but got turned arund in my research (I use this word loosely).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here