Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bstruss_gw

Handy device for sifting-screening raised beds, gardens

bstruss
13 years ago

I just put in three 4'x16'raised beds and because I just tilled a field full of weeds, bushes, and rocks, I needed a way to clean out the debris from the soil. Therefore, I made this handy sifter-screener which can be slid along the bed, and does a really good job of filtering out the soil. Of course, it also works good for regular gardens and compost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Make this soil sifter for screening soil and compost

Comments (4)

• jolj
    13 years ago

Looks good, did I understand that you tilled the soil under your beds, before you put the raised bed frames?

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Try a "trommel" sifter. Mount it on sawhorses over the bed and then rake the pile out. Move sawhorses as needed.

It's easier on your back than the rubbing method.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trommel sifter

• poaky1
    13 years ago

One of the container soil recipes I want to try says partially composted bark. How do you sort it out after it's been in the composter? Do you compost it seperately from your other compost?I add leaves and bunny poo and bedding with any veg/fruit scraps, how can you possibly pick out the bark? If I take the bark and add some bllod meal and keep moist I won't have the mass needed to heat, will I ?

• poaky1
    13 years ago

I am sorry I didn't mean to highjack the OP's thread, I should have started my own thread, I just wondered about that after reading the post and typed it.