Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
composting algae

Posted by judiohz5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 6, 10 at 12:35

Hi all. I hope I have picked the right forum, if not, please forgive me. Each summer the algae in the pond gets ahead of us, so we skim it off and i wondered if it would be good to put into the compost or use for lasagna beds. I've read to use seaweed this way and would like to know if it's the same with stringy algae. We get a lot of it and when wet it weighs a ton, or so it seems. If it can be used would it be better to let it dry first or put it on wet. Thanks
Judi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: composting algae

Judi,

I toss all my pond algee in the compost wet. In addition at the end of the year I also toss in all the dying aquatic plants such as Water Hyacinth and Parrots Feather.

-Mike

o

Composting algae is the same as drying medusa on my opinion.

o

Thanks Mike for the answer. Now I'm sorry about all I have wasted. Half acre pond that really gets covered. Now I won't feel so bad about all the work it is to get it out.
Thanks again, Judi

o

There is an article on the web someplace where a Minnesota heirloom tomato grower used pond weed for mulch. If I recall it didn't aid growth any better than anything else he used, but it didn't have any adverse affects.

Carbon to nitrogen to phosphorus ratio is approximately 105:16:1

o

sounds like a sure material to add to your pile

on the other hand have you tried a bale of barley straw in the pond to keep the algae from growing

o

Hi Jonas, never heard of barley straw. Is it safe for the fish, frogs, turtles etc? If so, it sure would beat pulling all that heavy algae out. I was only thinking about my flowers and starting a compost pile.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 6, 10 at 23:38

Lake Monona has an algae problem every summer. Please tell us more about barley straw.

o

Algae blooms on lakes and ponds has increased as the pollution from Nitrogen and Phosphorus has increased. Some of the Algae would be a good addition to any compost pile as long as you know it is not the Toxic Blue/Green Algae that is also becoming more of a problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toxic Algae

o

This was a decent article on the pros and cons of barley for algae control

Here is a link that might be useful: From Purdue

o

Judi says her pond is half an acre. That's an awful lot of barley straw.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here