Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can this be accurate- Soil Test

Posted by foodeefish z8SC (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 12:43

I just received my Vegetable Garden Soil test from Clemson University and their suggestion is to add NO lime, and to only add 6#s Calcium Nitrate per 1000 Square Feet.
I was going to add composted oak leaves but now I don't know what to do.

Here are the results:

PH- 7.4

lbs per acre

Phosphorus(P) - 166 Excessive
Potassium(K) - 430 Excessive
Calcium(Ca) - 9868 Excessive
Magnesium(Mg) - 1081 Sufficient
Zinc(Zn) 336 Sufficient
Maganese(Mn)-121 Sufficient
Boron(B) - 5.7 Excessive
Copper(Cu) - 0.2
Sodium(Na) - 90

Any ideas as to what I should do or if this can be accurate? PH 7.4 and don't add any Lime?? I thought Lime decreased the PH and that I needed a PH of 6.8-7.2 for vegetables? If I add composted leaves won't that just raise the PH even higher?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can this be accurate- Soil Test

If your soil test is fairly accurate, you should not add calcium lime as that raises the ph. Sulfer lowers ph. I don't know how to lower boron except by water leaching.

Leaves likely are neutral to slightly acidic....ok.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 16:50

Composted oak leaves should add vegetable fiber, also called organic matter, to the soil, and this is usually a good thing. It is possible to have too much organic matter in the soil. Have you grown vegetables in this plot before? If so, what were the results? Based on the soil test results, I agree, no lime should be added. If you think that nitrogen is needed, then ammmonium sulfate will provide nitrogen, and also lower soil pH. However, the indicated pH = 7.4 is good for growing vegetables, and I might not do anything to lower it, if it were my garden.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 17:34

Looks like the place has been overmanured for a long time. Yes, add leaves only for five years, and urea or other N only fertilizer.

o

I guess the chicken manure the last couple of years may have been too much. I have plenty of leaves composting and I just added some alfalfa pellets as greens to get it composting.

I'll wait a few weeks and add them to the garden.

Thnx

o

A soil pH of 7.4 is not really all that far off the optimal 6.0 to 6.8 pH so it is not something that I would be too concerned about. Lime, Calcium Carbonate, is used to raise a soils pH not decrease that pH.
What is the amount of organic matter in that soil?
How much chicken manure, over how much area, has been added?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here