Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil Tillage

Posted by wayne_5 6a.IN (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 13:08

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil Tillage

So you are saying it is better not to till, or just mix up the top a little? I've read a book that said if you do not till, it leads to problems. For example, bind weed loves untilled soils, the lady said this in her book, and it just so happens people who do "no till" tomatoes, suffer from bind weed. what are the benefits?

o

Matt, what book are you referring to? What are the problems this book spelled out? Just curious what book you read. Tks.

o

Matt, I find for my own situation that I have deeply mixed in local peat moss, sand, and organic matter into the soil to bring the texture into a wonderful condition. This is in silty clay loam soil.Then annually I mix in more shallowly plant residues, rotted horse manure with lots of hay and straw, leaf compost, and leaf mulch...along with cover crop residues.

This works for me. Yes, I till when planting to make a nice seedbed. So I do believe in tilling, but I like to keep the enrichments up in the top 4 inches. The field across the fence is no-till and that is good for that situation.

o

Thanks for all the books to read! I love having many different methods on hand as with nature every situation is unique to climate locale and soil composition. Just adding to the list of good reads Ruth Stout's Gardening Without Work has been a great resource for me, with her no till mulch heavy approach has really helped me, especially with my hard packed sun baked southern California soil

o

@Tygerius:your advertising tactic is starting to get annoying.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here