Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White/grey "powder" in hot compost pile?

Posted by AlexInAlbany none (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 14:28

Hey everyone!

I've been reading and benefitting from this forum for quite some time now, so I figured it's time to join the fun.

Anyway, I have a question about my hot compost pile... First, a little background. I originally built the pile in late December using approximately 50-60% dry brown leaves (mixed with a little rice straw), and 40-50% green yard clippings supplemented with some dry (baled) alfalfa. This was moistened, mixed, and piled about 3 ft high in a roughly 4x4 chicken wire enclosure. I turn it about every 3-4 days, and it's consistently reaching 130-140 degrees between each turning (I turn when the temp seems to start dropping). I'm shooting for something kindof like the "Berkeley Method"; frequent turning for fast composting.

On to my question... Each time I turn the pile, I see quite a lot of powdery grey/white material in the hottest zones. I believe this material to be actinomycetes. Is it bad for these guys to dominate the pile like they are? Should I be doing something differently? It seems to be composting rather quickly, but I just want to be sure I'm growing the proper microorganisms for healthy compost. I have read posts from people who mention a little bit of white/grey being no problem, but in my pile it seems pretty substantial.

I'd love to hear any thoughts about what I could do differently.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White/grey "powder" in hot compost pile?

Actinomycetes in quantity is quite normal & I bet you have no bad odor problem. This same bacteria is responsible for the humus-y woodsy smell that is present in the forest. Have fun & never stop composting.

o

Paleogardener- Thanks for the quick reply! You are right. No bad odor whatsoever; just the fresh, earthy aroma.

I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. With a little luck (and manual labor...), this batch should be ready before I plant spring/summer veggies. The winter veggies will have to make due with some castings from my worm bins.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Alex

o

I see that most often in hot piles made of grass clippings and leaves, just like your pile.

o

Is it bad for these guys to dominate the pile like they are? Should I be doing something differently? It seems to be composting rather quickly, but I just want to be sure I'm growing the proper microorganisms for healthy compost.

Considering how hard it is to kill actinomycetes, you will be relieved to know that it's OK for them to be abundant.

Basically, compost happens. Pile it up and it's a self-directed process.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 22:37

If your pile is generating significant amounts of powdery residuals, you might want to consider wearing a mask when turning the pile. I am aware of one person who landed in the hospital with a persistent lung infection that was thought to have been caused by turning a compost pile. The infection was successfully treated with antibiotics, but it took a week or so, as I remember.

o

Ericwi- Thanks for the heads up. I've heard about that story, too. I haven't been wearing a mask, but I have been careful not to take in a deep breath of the stuff.

o

Definitely something to watch out for. A properly damp pile shouldn't cause any problems for the average person. I don't worry about it unless there is a visible cloud of dust coming up. That's usually when both the weather and the pile have been hot, so it's dry.

o

Perhaps the pile is a bit too dry?

o

Last time I turned the pile, it was on the dry side. I moistened it down as I mixed, so we should be back on track.

Thanks, all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here