Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Expired chocolate cake mix

Posted by briergardener 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 14:33

Friend-baker cleaned closets and gave me a bag with expired chocalate cake mix.
Is it OK to add it to compost or dig into soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Expired chocolate cake mix

The flour mixture might attract rodents, especially if it "cakes" up...that said, if it's not an issue it should be fine if the rest of the mixture isn't too high in fats that would become available once moist.

The carbs would feed fungi and the sugars would feed microorganisms.

Mix it in well to avoid caking and rodent attractiveness...apply appropriate or sparingly depending on the size of your pile, how "hot" it is, and how quickly it can "work on" the amendment.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 16:35

Expired?

I just baked some pre-packaged cookie dough, ten years old, last week. It worked fine.
How old is it?

o

The "use by" and "sell by" dates found on food products are meant to help the retailer keep moving stock. They are not meant to tell you that food is no good after then.
If theat mix does not have weevil larva crawling around in it it can probably still be used, however, it can be composted just as any other food you could eat can be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Use by dates

o

I wouldn't put it where a dog might eat it. I seem to remember that dogs don't do chocolate?

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 15:39

Kimmsr:
Thank you for that link, I greatly appreciate it.

o

I helped someone clean out some kitchen cabinets of long-expired food last year and composted all of it, about 2 boxfuls: plant-protein powders, boxed soups and soymilks, unidentified grains, etc. I mixed it a little with browns (mulch) as I added it, but it was still a pretty disgusting process. And then, a couple months later, I moved all my compost bins AND the compost. That bin was the stinkiest compost ever! As I moved it, I distributed the stinkiest glop to different bins and made sure to put lots of normal compostables and mulch between layers of glop.

And when the compost was done, I couldn't tell the difference between the bins that had the pantry glop and the bins that didn't. It was all great compost!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here