Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I Compost Monkey Grass ?

Posted by hhiii (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 28, 09 at 15:16

I would assume the cut monkey grass borders I have all over my yard will compost like grass?

This weekend I will need to cut it all back and I assume it will be a typical green like grass clippings but will be longer in length. My hot compost barrel isn't doing squat this winter so if I put in with leaved and it doesn't do much this winter will it turn on as the weather gets better or should i wait and start fresh in the spring.. I live in charlotte NC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I Compost Monkey Grass ?

• Posted by careyj 7 Southern Maryland (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 29, 09 at 1:00

You can compost it. I would cut it up some first though. I have put ornamental grasses in mine but the thicker leaves take longer.

Carey

o
RE: Can I Compost Monkey Grass ?

Since this is a plant material, and since this does not root from the leaves (that will be composted) you can compost them. If your composter is not working well that may be an indication that your C:N ratio is off or that the material is too wet or too dry. Even now, up here where the average temperature is running around 20 degrees, my compost is out there being digested so if all conditions are about right for the bacteria that digest what you put in then simply that it is winter does not mean you cannot compost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here