Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Building an "active soil microbe herd"

Posted by csross 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 16:07

I was reading a discussion of fertilization on the Tomato forum, and DigDirt discussed how an "active soil microbial herd" is needed to break down compost, etc. I built a raised bed veggie garden last year by smothering the grass on my lawn and then filling it with a truckload of bulk "planting mix" from my local nursery. The mix contained mostly small wood fragments, compost, sand, etc. Things grew relatively well last year (as far as this first time gardener could tell) and I'm planning to amend the soil this spring with my own homemade compost, which is almost ready.

So my question is, would it be beneficial for me to buy one of the "soil microbe starter kits" being sold at my local nursery, or is that just a waste of money at this point? I transplanted some potted plants into the garden last year, but I don't know how much microbial activity is going on in my soil.

What else can I do to ensure a healthy soil microbial community?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Building an "active soil microbe herd"

csross:
Your micro herd was established with the first input of organic material into the raised bed.

o

Making & using compost is the best thing you can do for your micro herd.

o

Just add organic matter/compost. Mother nature will do it.
Another thing is avoid using pesticides that kill the microbe herd.

JMO

o

This is one of those if you build it they will come items. Provide the proper habitat, a soil well endowed with organic matter, and the Soil Food Web will move in and grow and no "soil microbe starter" is needed.
Earthworm activity is one indication of an active Soil Food Web, as would be the presence of others such as centipedes, millipedes, Pill bugs and all their relatives.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Biology Primer

o

Even the soil you had there before you did anything, had an ungodly number of microbes in it. That said, organic matter or compost will boost them as others have said. You don't need commercial products for that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here