Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

frozen soil

I did container gardening last year. In the shed is a some miracle grow potting mix that I have leftover from last year's growing season. Now I'd like for it not to go to waste, but what's left of it is frozen solid.

I'm just afraid when it thaws it'll be muddy and not suitable for gardening. Now I'm wondering if when it does thaw it'll be suitable for gardening?

Comments (15)

• annpat
    14 years ago

Yes, it will be fine, and so would the soil that you used last year in your pots. I save my potting soil from year to year in an outdoor "soil" bin.

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

If that potting soil is frozen the only problem with it is that there is too much moisture in it. Once it thaws and dries some it should be fine for use in pots and containers.

• kawaiineko_gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How do I dry out the soil once it thaws?

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

Is Ashton Kutcher around ???
    Are we being "PUNKED" ;-)

Put the soil in a container with some vegetation and add water.

• Lloyd
    14 years ago

If it was fine before it froze, it will be fine after it thaws. No significant moisture has been added nor taken away just because it froze.

Lloyd

• PRO
    Steven Laurin & Company
    14 years ago

I'm beginning to see a pattern with kawaiineko_gardener that justaguy2 warned everyone about in other forums . . .

• kqcrna
    14 years ago

OK, you guys lost me.

But that frozen soil might well get moldy, fungus-y when it thaws. I would sterilize it before use, but that's just me.

Karen

• Lloyd
    14 years ago

I too did not understand. I did an 'all forum' search using the OP and justaguy2, now I understand.

Lloyd

• kqcrna
    14 years ago

OK, did the search. I'm enlightened. I don't spend enough time on some of the forums to have understood.

Holy crap! Did JAG2 really buy a troll 3 earth boxes and potting medium? I am flabbergasted.

Because Jag2 has been such a knowledgeable and helpful gardener for so long I want to believe he's just an extremely generous person. Otherwise I'd question his sanity. JAG2, you might be the nicest guy on the 'net.

Karen

• borderbarb
    14 years ago

Kaw....gardener -- From MI with frozen soil from LAST YEAR. Someone else may be using your very unique online moniker.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flgard/msg0317365016435.html
    That thread post from March of 09 was asking about cool and warm sseason veggies for FLORIDA.\///////
    ////////////
    Again from FLORIDA in April '09
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/herbs/msg04231734597.html

• PRO
    Steven Laurin & Company
    14 years ago

Doing a search will not provide full enlightenment, since some threads have been edited.

After trying to locate one of these threads in particular, I discovered that the hostile posts, have been edited out - apparently by the mods.

• kqcrna
    14 years ago

I got enough to see the dates and different locations, many, many recurring threads with similar type questions. Got the gist of it.

• cowgirl2
    14 years ago

FYI

Here is a link that might be useful: kawaii neko

• kawaiineko_gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just to clarify I never asked him to send the earthboxes to me, he CHOSE to. He suggested that I used earthboxes for container gardening because it'd simplify things immensely for me with container gardening.

I told him "I don't know what an earthbox is, and I can't afford to container garden using earthboxes". That wasn't
    in any shape or implying to him "I'm broke and I want you
    to send earthboxes to me; I was just telling him WHY
    using earthboxes wasn't a viable option for me with container gardening.

I don't see him as nice like you do; he called me a douche and the scum of the earth and basically the most ungrateful person ever. He overlooked the fact that when I made the inquiry to him regarding that I was interested in his offer,
    I said thank you BEFORE he even sent the earthboxes.

• borderbarb
    14 years ago

Kawii neko -- I am curious about the posts LAST YEAR ['09]giving FL as your zone and this current post ['10] giving MI as your zone, with comment about frozen miracle grow potting mix from LAST YEAR. Did you garden in both states last year? Reverse-Snow Bird? In FL for spring, summer and in MI for winter?