Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what should I do with old honey?

Posted by ajpa z6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 17:50

What should I do with old honey all crystallized in the container -- add it to kitchen scraps for compost?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what should I do with old honey?

Warm it up slowly and use it in your kitchen.

Wayne

o

Microwave it....

o

Only water will make honey go bad. By bad, I mean it will ferment. So if fermented honey is bad, then it's bad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mead

o

Like someone said honey doesn't go bad......ever. Unless it had too high of a water content and fermented. Gently heat the honey in hot water and it will become runny again. Or cream it, put it in an old butter tub and use it as a spread. I actually prefer eating honey in this manner; because the consistency is easier to spread over bread and is less messy.

o

crystallized honey is just crystallized. It's not bad. Once it's back to liquid form by heating it up it's just as good as fresh. I have not noticed any change in taste.
If you're not in a hurry, you can let the jar sit in hot water.

Otis

o

I'd like to 2nd the microwave recommendation. Very quick. And, zapping about 5 seconds will get that last 1/2 inch in the squeeze bottle running out in a hurry.

o

aipa ... Old honey has probably been a great companion to you for many years. Why would you have to ask what to do with her/him ??.....

I would get a nice warm blanket and a good bottle of red wine and cuddle up in front of the fireplace and talk about all the good times you two have shared....

and let nature take its course.......

o

The problem with microwaving honey is that a microwave creates hot spots and can overheat the honey, mess up the taste and destroy beneficial enzymes. Although I guess it really doesn't matter much unless it's fresh non pasteurized honey. The honey you get in stores isn't nearly as good; because of the pasteurization. I prefer stealing directly from the bees by the 5 gallon bucket. :)

o

Make sure the container is microwave safe. My honey-bear can't go in the micro.

You know you can also microwave the lumps out of brown sugar...

o

Microwaving (ANY heating to a high temp) kills the goodness of the honey itself...
I generally put the GLASS jars in the oven, then turn it on to low, and leave it a couple hours- take it out as soon as it's ready.
Might also work for plastic, anything is better than emptying your hotwater tank over it...

o

You could heat it with water without emptying the hot water tank, just put some water in a bowl and put the container of honey in it. If you need more heat, you could even put the water in the microwave...

o

Thanks everyone! I'll try the hot water.

ruvin, LOL.

-ajpa

o

Here is one How to Make Mead page.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Make Mead

o

Now you're talking albert! I like to put wild persimmons in mine, and make it dry. Dry persimmon mead. Yeah. :-q

o

greenbean,
thanks for the support.
Otis

o
RE: hat should I do with oldw honey?

• Posted by pt03 3 Southern Manitoba (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 21, 09 at 21:45

"what should I do with old honey?"

I dunno, trade her in on a younger one?

Lloyd

P.S. Caution, Old Honey might not appreciate this kind of humor.

o

Don't take any chances, send it to me where it will be properly disposed of in an environmentally conscience, organic manner after thermal tratement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here