Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
takadi

Biochar is not what it's hyped up to be?

takadi
15 years ago

I ran across this video on youtube (link below), and in the comment section, a particular user named "soilhumic" has claimed that biochar is hardly the miracle that people make it out to be and actually rapidly degrades in aerobic conditions. Here are some examples of his comments

"Char was used in potting mixes for generations and it never lasted long,breaking down rapidly, once air, water and N were in the mix. Just like compost it is rapid cycling carbon if conditions allow. The experiment in this video used a combination of Poultry Manure (rich in Nitrogen) combined with the Bio Char. So which can be attributed to the added growth, the N or the Carbon from the bio char? This is poorly done science and not the savior of soils!"

"I've just completed reading a technical paper sent to me by a Bio Char company promoting the concept. The paper summarizes many studies generated from Japan and all use very poor scientific method with poor or no controls. The statistics are even worse! I've studied in person and first hand the Terra Preta sites and all had anaerobic soils, which explains the long lasting nature of the char. Once made aerobic it breaks down fast."

"I know who he is. Basic soil chemistry, when you add oxygen to organic matter that contains calories, plus water and saprophytic microorganism, your going to get rapid decay and that includes char. There's no reason to study that, it's biochem 101. I've studied the Terra Preta sites long before Johannes and the first thing I noticed is that they resemble acid peat soils in bogs where the conditions are waterlogged and acidic which inhibits aerobic decomposition. Peat accumlates because of this."

"Char is not the answer to building healthy and sustainable soils. Only Humus (the Humic acids) are the answer. Chemically Humus has a half life measured in many decades and it won't decay as it has no calorie value. Nothing else in nature or science can do what Humus and the Mycorrhizae can do! Mycorrhizae are involved in the production of humus in a round about way because of Glomalin. We must Prime the Pedogenesis (soil creation) to save or make top soil."

Since this is the only opposing opinion I've have for biochar that supposedly comes from a primary source, according to his claims, I don't want to immediately brush off his scientific opinion due to emotional reasons or because "he probably is trying to sell something". What is the credibility of what he's saying? From an unbiased, objective perspective, what do you all think? My ignorance and youth is unable to determine fact from fiction at this point

Comments (8)

• takadi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ahh I always forget the link....

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube: Biochar

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

I have seen numerous discusssions, with soil scientists, that the people promoting BioChar are operating on too little information and that is does not do what has been suggested. Since producing the charcoal requires that a material is burned and burning organic matter always destroys more nutrients then it preserves and produces large volumes of pollution, why bother?

• gardenlen
    15 years ago

to me from what i have seen in a small garden bio-char setup it is not much more than a progression of slash and burn technology transcribed into the home garden situation or even farm use. they create pollution with smoke and fumes(in the local area, surely that is pollution just as car fumes are?)from an incinirtor, for what also seems to me to be rubbery figures of the benefits of the process, in other words they have added the science that fits the belief. to me it is outside the realms of common sense.

'takadi' i am going to write a few words about this slash and burn tech' for my web page would you be interested in writting a couple paragraphs or so, maybe that i can use as well? i will credit your words back to you and your web site if you have one?

send me an e/mail from our web link if you are interested.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

• cowgirl2
    15 years ago

Interesting video but I am always suspicious when the CO2 red herring is waved around. Everyone is trying to jump on the global warming gray train.

The item about plain soil and soil with chicken manure and char was certainly misleading. What would corn with just chicken manure look like?

There is an other soil amendment that is in the same high humic acid catagory - leonardite. For those interested you can do some research. Just so we are clear, I am not pushing this as a silver bullet. I don't think there are any silver bullets. Rather, I feel that many of these humic amendments will benefit poor soils but will have minimal impact on crops grown in soils with adequate organic material.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leonardite

• takadi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Gardenlen,

I didn't wrote those particular comments I posted, another user did. I personally don't know who is right, though for personal sake, I tend to lean towards the notion that biochar is a miraculous substance. However, I'm starting to go back towards the middle as I'm learning that significant research still needs to be done.

• takadi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

However, it does make me a little sad that I'm finding evidence that biochar half-life and the claims that people are making about it are inconclusive, a part of me wishes it was the magical almighty silver bullet

• gardenlen
    15 years ago

thanks takadi,

i have my thoughts on the idea in a paragraph or 2 on my permaculture essay.

enjoy

len

• takadi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi gardenlen, I read your essay. Though it is an interesting perspective, from what I've read about biochar, it is a better version from biochar in that it utilizes anaerobic conditions and in some cases, recycling of the "waste" products and using it as additional fuel to smolder the material. So in essence, the process can have a minimal carbon footprint or can even be carbon negative as some have suggested.

The skepticism here though is whether biochar in the form of charcoal itself and its addition to soil is what is responsible for the miracle of the Terra Preta. What's being questioned here is its actual half life and stability, whether the long lasting Terra Preta is the result of anerobic bog like conditions, etc,