Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sorghum peet moss

Posted by gobluedog 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 19:54

Is it ok to grow container plants in a mixture of Sorghum peet moss and lots of perlite for drainage? will the ph, acidic Sorghum peet moss not be a good growing medium alone with perlite? I normaly use a professional peet blend but could not find any till spring, i bought some last fall vigoro garden soil for my repotting needs. My plants that i saved to overwinter aren't doing very well using the garden soil, i even mixed it with lots of perlite for drainage but the garden soil is still to soggy with limited watering. any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sorghum peet moss

Do you mean sphagnum peat moss?

o

Most all soilless potting mixes are made of peat moss with either perlite or vermiculite added to promote drainage. You could use Sphagnum Peat Moss providing you could grind it fairly finely. The manufacturers of potting soil mixes do neutralize them with lime, often.

o

To answer your question directly, no, the combo of just peat moss and perlite is not a great idea. Peat moss is highly acidic - typically much more than most plants prefer - and is usually of a pretty small particle size. Even adding copious amounts of perlite is not likely to provide the very fast drainage and good aeration most container plantings prefer. Plus you would need to amend to offset the high acidity.

I'd suggest you look for a decent potting soil - a soil mix designed specifically for container plantings. Most garden centers and home improvement stores should carry something suitable. Otherwise, you might want to check out the Container Gardening forum for various homemade potting soil recipes as well as container growing tips.

o

From the Proven Winners website I have linked below, " Most potting soil you buy in a garden center are comprised of three basic ingredients: peat moss, pine bark, and either perlite or vermiculite (to provide air space)."

Here is a link that might be useful: What is potting soil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here