Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

Compost tea?

A local soil place has organic compost tea available each week. 2 gal free, can be diluted up to 5x. So 10 gal per week.
I'll be adding compost to most of the beds (as much as is ready), but was also thinking of adding this also.
Question is, would there be too much N for, say tomatoes, eggplant, peppers or should I save it for plants that like the N like greens? It is manure free. Nancy

Comments (3)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Not a whole lot of available N in finished compost or in the tea made from it. You would be fine.

tj

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

While available Nitrogen in compost and compost tea does test low, depending on the temperature of the product and the activity of the bacteria in the product, both can have fairly high amounts, which is why you need to dilute the tea quite a bit when applying it. Spraying compost tea onto soils that lack adequate levels of organic matter will do little and spraying compost tea onto soils with a very active Soil Food Web is not really necessary. Compost tea does increase the numbers of certain bacteria, temporarily, which in a good healthy garden may not be necessary.

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, I'm hearing it's not going to HURT anything.
    It's on my way home and free, so I think I'll go for it. NANCY

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022