Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_rosefaerie

What to Put In Wet Area of Garden Near House

organic_rosefaerie
12 years ago

Hi,

I am in a new house as of August 2011 and looking forward to my first spring here.

I had last fall to look at the yard and gardens and see the good, the bad and the ugly.

Part of the ugly is an area against the house that seems to always stay damp. It doesn't get any direct sun and has been over-mulched for years. It was also the area our inspector thought may have had termites. Makes sense b/c they like moisture.

I'm planning to remove the mulch but need to know what to put down instead that will keep the area drier. Stones/pebbles? Sand?

There is an Azalea and Rhododendron planted there.

Any ideas would be welcome.

TIA,

Rose

Comments (11)

• JonCraig
    12 years ago

A wet area against the house is a serious matter. Termites and foundation damage are possibilities. Ensure that the grade is running away from the house, and if in doubt, consult a professional. If it's a grade-related drainage issue, no amount of sand/stone merely on top will help the issue. The grade must be corrected.

• novascapes
    12 years ago

"A wet area against the house is a serious matter. Termites and foundation damage are possibilities. Ensure that the grade is running away from the house, and if in doubt, consult a professional. If it's a grade-related drainage issue, no amount of sand/stone merely on top will help the issue. The grade must be corrected."
    Print this out a paste it on the fridge until it is done. Then think about planting.

• organic_rosefaerie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. Will do. Since I've never had to deal with an issue like this, how would we change the grade? What kind of professional do I call?
    Thanks so much!

• TheMasterGardener1
    12 years ago

I would recomend planting bamboo if it was not too close to the foundation because roots can reach to the foundation, but maybe digging mini french drain like some suggested.

• joepyeweed
    12 years ago

Joepyeweed is a plant that likes moist wet soil in shade.

However if you change the drainage and the area is no longer moist, then you may have to change what you plant there.

Other plants that like moist soil in the shade, cardinal flower, bottlebrush grass, columbine, wild geranium, great blue lobelia.

You may want to do some googling on the term rain garden. Ton of information out there.

Though typically you do not want to have a rain garden next to the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain Garden manual

• strobiculate
    12 years ago

OK. I have a question...

You are complaining of wet soil...yet state that a rhoddie and azalea are planted in this area. ??? Is is safe to assume that these plants are indeed growing, not presenting brown, downward curled leaves?

• ralleia
    12 years ago

JonCraig said: A wet area against the house is a serious matter. Termites and foundation damage are possibilities. Ensure that the grade is running away from the house, and if in doubt, consult a professional. If it's a grade-related drainage issue, no amount of sand/stone merely on top will help the issue. The grade must be corrected.
    -----------------------------------
    X3

Also, where do your gutters empty? Do you have a downspout in the vicinity of this wet area?

For all your downspouts (and especially in that area) you need to get downspout extenders to empty the water at least ten feet away from the foundation of your house, preferably where it will run AWAY from the house.

Water in soil exerts pressure against your foundation, which is never a good thing! Neither are the molds or leaks that could form there.

Tomorrow I'll ask my geotechnical engineering professor what brand of professional to look for in particular.

• joepyeweed
    12 years ago

You don't need a professional to understand that water flows down hill, do you?

• reg_pnw7
    12 years ago

Strobiculate poses a very good point. Rhodies and azaleas will not survive long at all (think snowballs in heck) in wet soil that doesnt' drain. It's possible that only the top is staying damp due to an excess of water-holding mulch, and that there's no problem with the drainage after all. Termites will use deep mulch as a cover to get from their nest to the house.

No soil covering will dry the area out, although some will not retain water, like the rocks and sand you mention. But why put in a mulch if you don't want to retain moisture? Rocks and sand won't contribute anything. They won't dry the soil, and they won't improve the soil, and they won't keep weeds down.

Willows and cottonwoods will dry out a wet area but you wouldn't want to plant them next to the house. Smaller plants like joepyeweed suggests might be better.

• ralleia
    12 years ago

I talked to my geo prof and he said that you need to determine the grade (and then fix it if necessary).

If you wanted a professional to do it, you would call a surveyor who could come out and help you, but as joepyeweed stated, you can pretty much tell for yourself. There are plenty of how-to descriptions and videos out there. I found a decent one here:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4419517_check-grade-around-home_s-foundation.html

Checking and fixing that grade is #1--get that water away from the foundation!

I guess the only other possibility that you might consider is if there are any water sources in that area that might be leaking, especially since this house is new to you. We had a mucky situation next to our house when our well busted its pressure cap, flooding the well and all the surrounding ground!

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals