Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil-less potting mix vs. compost?

Posted by ainadaliel (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 16, 11 at 21:41

So I've been growing/starting plants in soil mixed with compost...when a friend told me it's better to use soil-less potting mix.

I haven't wrapped my head around why soil-less potting mix is better than, well, soil with compost. I've heard about fungus breeding in soil, but is that the primary reason why people use soil-less potting mix?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil-less potting mix vs. compost?

Ainadaliel,
Soil- the natural soil or dirt that is outside in the garden naturally, containing leaves, worms, whatever, but your exsisting outside dirt.
Soil-less potting mix- Used for POTS only, made specifically for pot use, containing larger fragments for the plants to allow their roots to "breathe" and drain well. Most soil-less potting mix also contains some kind of fertilizer because the plants can't get the natural fertilization in the soil outside, like leaves, worm castings, ect.
Where are you starting your plants?
Most people start them inside in the winter, which would mean you aren't planting them in the ground.
So, if you start babies inside, you want a pot with soil-less potting mix.
When they get big, and you want to plant them outside in your garden, then they go in your soil(which is your dirt outside in your garden bed) mixed with compost.
I don't know what fungus has to do with anything, if you get fungus on them inside, the drainage isn't good and they aren't getting enough fresh air.

o

Thanks! This makes a lot of sense now. :)

o

Pots need a soil less potting mix for drainage because regular garden soil will tend to become water logged in a pot. I have used the compost I make for a potting soil for years with no such problem.

o

You may find the information at the link below of interest. It explains why soil/water/air relationships are so much more critical in conventional container culture than in your gardens/beds, and why soils comprised primarily of small particles (topsoil/peat/compost/coir) are more difficult to grow in and provide a much narrower margin for error than soils the primary fraction of which are comprised of larger particulates.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More about container media

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here