Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mantis composter

Posted by larry_n7luf 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 22:17

Hi, I just got done building my new "mantis composter" and was wondering why they are painted green and not black. I have been thinking of painting it black for better rust protection and heat. My wife and I juice a lot and have 4 composter running all the time wanting to add the mantis composter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mantis composter

You may paint it any color you like, it will still give you compost :)

o

Just thinking black would make things cook faster.

o

Mantis and other brands are painted (maybe manufactured is a better choice of words) green to better blend in with yards.

Having the tumbler exteriors in black would not significantly change the inside temp. The heat is generated inside the tumbler or bin, so those wishing to minimize heat loss would insulate the outside. Tumblers suffer in comparison to larger bins in winter composting -- there just is not the bulk to minimize heat loss.

I moved from a tumbler to two large mesh bins 4'x4'2'high years ago for a number of reasons.

o

I bought 2 mantis single barrel compost tumblers. Only 1 is still in service. I may use the other for spare parts if ever needed in the future. I have made my own out of 50-55 gallon blue plastic barrels. I made doors on the side with hinges that close and have a pole through the center. I have to spin it over the pole axle in the middle, kinda like on the price is right. you try and use your strength to spin it up and over on the big wheel. It works pretty darn good, despite the fact that the volume of organic matter isn't very massive, it rots pretty well, if given the time. It is easier to maintain even moisture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here