Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Filling the bottom of a hillside raised bed

Posted by Coachlane none (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 6:13

My Fiancee and I recently moved into a house on a hillside with enough yard space for a vegetable garden. The one issue - the yard space in question is on the side of a somewhat steep hill. I've built access stairs and 3 3ft x 12 ft raised beds which compensate for the hill slope, but given the angle, there is a LOT of space to fill in the downhill side of the beds (12 inches deep on the high side, 29ish inches on the low side!). My understanding is that using nice (and expensive) soil below the 12 inch mark is not cost effective. We can also get wood mulch for free in our county. Would I be setting myself up for failure by filling in everything below the 12 inch line with free mulch, and then building normal soil on top? We will be drip irrigating, so I can fine tune moisture to account for drainage.
Thanks all for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Filling the bottom of a hillside raised bed

Not a good idea to use mulch or anything else that can decompose as the bottom layer. Those kinds of materials will soon decompose and maybe even turn anaerobic underneath the soil.

I'd use a coarse gravel, I guess.

o

I would shovel down 15" into hill on the high side instead of raising that side. So , your low side will be raised just 15" and your high side 0". In this case , everything gonna be leveled without extra materials.

o

Is your slope South facing? Consider terracing your beds, where they would be below grade on the uphill side, but above grade on the downhill side. Just an idea.

o

You could just use any soil from anywhere on your property. It will be buried so deep, the weed seeds won't really matter.

If you build any more beds, I would recommend that you level the area by digging and moving soil and tamping it down FIRST. Then install your bed on a level pad. Don't tamp down too much. because the roots may end up in the native soil. Just a little so that it doesn't settle immediately when it gets wet.

If you have gophers, you should put hardware cloth (wire mesh) on the bottom of the bed. Also, you should make sure the walls of the bed stick up a straight vertical two inches or more all around the bed to prevent the gophers from coming in on the surface.

Best of luck to you!

--McKenzie

o

I second what DirtandYarn said : TERRACE.

o

In landscape terms it's called cut and fill. You cut out the uphill side and fill it into the downhill side. It's a well established principal for hills. You can use it for one plant or for a whole terrace.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here