Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kmac

Pics of Successful Lasagna Beds

organic_kmac
16 years ago

Hi,

I'm afraid I'm asking for something that has already been posted, but I have executed numerous searches in addition to looking through pages of threads on various forums and haven't found very many examples of what I'm looking for: "successful" lasagne beds showing plantings at their peak. I've seen lots of "in progress" photos of beds that are under construction or finished and ready for planting.

I'm really looking for pictoral evidence to share with dh since I want to re-design a couple of major areas in our yard. I've just finished making a lasagna bed, but he won't see the fruit of my effort until mid-summer and I want to complete the big projects before the end of spring.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Comments (7)

• gardenlen
    16 years ago

g'day organic,

we have pic's on our page we use raised/lasagne bed method.

for me simply start doing your gardening this way it is a lot less work in the end.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: len's garden page

• organic_kmac
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, len! I'll be sure to check out your photos. Anyone else?

Thanks,

K

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

Lasagna bed made over lawn last year, after rotting for a while.
    {{gwi:263280}}

Same area with seedlings planted in May
    {{gwi:260466}}

Same area in August with mature annual salvia. You can see how far the soil level (i.e. composted lasagna has sunk).
    {{gwi:260468}}

Karen

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

Oops- I found another, same bed, shows seedlings with a little growth. This pic was taken June 7
    {{gwi:260467}}

Karen

• gail_ish
    16 years ago

When we moved in 5 years ago in the fall, I used our moving boxes to lay out the beds, then went into the fields & collected manure to layer on top, and then collected wood chips & topped them off. I dragged logs out of the woods to line the bed (we have 37 acres), and planted in the spring. (I love wintersowing!!) In the years since, I have topdressed with compost & added more woodchips. Here are the results:

{{gwi:263282}}

{{gwi:263285}}

{{gwi:263286}}

2 year old woodshed bed:

{{gwi:263287}}

And this year, IÂm planning an all red flowers bed in this space, and will lasagna it too:
    {{gwi:263288}}

If you havenÂt seen a red bed, go to the cottage forums  it should still be on the first or second page. Amazing!!

All the best,
    Gail

• annafl
    16 years ago

All the beds you see pictured here around the pond are lasagna beds that started with cardboard, leaves, wood chips, grass clippings, pine needles, etc. My garden is now 2 years old and this was from 2007.

{{gwi:263289}}

All the beds in my garden started the same way. Things have grown so much it is difficult to see the ground in some places.

{{gwi:263290}}

{{gwi:263291}}

Rose bed. Just knockouts, but also a lasagna bed.

{{gwi:263292}}

{{gwi:263293}}

• organic_kmac
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! Thank you all so much--your photos are so inspiring! I really appreciate you taking the time to post all of those photos. If I had had any doubts, they would be thoroughly eliminated by your pictures.

Karen-your salvia are gorgeous, and huge! (And I use a white stool exactly like that. :D )
    Gail-I wish I had the resources you have close at hand--your beds look wonderful.
    Annafl-Wow. Beautiful. Wow.

Thanks!

K