o
Can I compost fish bones?

Posted by JCTsai 8B - Yulee, FL (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 8:58

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I compost fish bones?

Some avoid animal meats/bones because they can attract attract animals,cause odors, and be difficult for the beginner composter. You need a very active, big, hot compost, especially to decompose bone. Most People around here just dig a a hole in the garden and throw the fish skeleton in that to decompose. I used to do this but My entire garden was dug up by the animals!! I will no longer use any animal product that attracts anything. Also, if you could pulverize the carcuss, it would greatly haste decomposition, same as placing the bones in the deep middle of the pile, the hottest. Just be warned if your garden gets dug up.. You might want to just try to compost the fish, animals digging in the compost is better than them digging up your plants, right?

You just brought back fond memories of my dad, thank you! He was an avid fisherman, he used throw all the fish craps in a big gatorade cooler (the big one on football games), and watered the garden with fish emulsion. Again, don't knock on my door if your garden gets dug up, I warned you!

o

I think you meant fish *s*craps? :-]

The occasional fish bone from the kitchen can go right into the pile at my house. If we're talking about a bucketful, I too would recommend burial in a hot pile secured from varmints as necessary.

o

Fish parts are one of my favorite compost ingredients. I use bluegill and small bass in the core of a pile when the temp is 130F or higher. Takes about ten days to dissolve, and there are no odors. My bins are only two feet high. No problems with pest animals in the past. My last dog had no interest in the bins at these times, but I suspect my new dog would be interested.

I also like to freeze some fish parts for spring tomato planting. A few bluegill down about 12 or 18 inches. Some leaves or dry compost below and above the fish.

o

Burying fish near plants was how Native Americans taught illegal aliens from Europe to grow corn.

o

Fish bones break down really quickly in hot compost systems compared to many animal bones (even birds).

Like stated, it does increase the chance of animals/rodents becoming interested in your bin, though...which isn't a concern for some people and a major concern for others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here