Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need composting thermometer recommendations

Posted by GreenDreamhome Zone 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 9:32

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good composting thermometer? There's a wide range of prices, and few reviews. Of course I want the thermometer to be accurate, but I also need it to be durable. Extra points for one made in the USA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need composting thermometer recommendations

I haven't bought one for 15 years so I'll be no help. Actually, after using it a few years, I got pretty good at mixing compost materials to achieve nice warm piles that weren't excessively hot, so I hardly use mine anymore.

o

There seem to be two or more types. The simple cheap one (I paid $15 or $20 about twelve years ago). Eighteen inches long, I think stainless? This is the basic one most folks may have.

There there are longer and more expensive types, maybe more of a lab style.

How long does your compost thermometer need to be? Depends on your bins mostly. Mulitiply 18 times 2 = one good for three feet high, since it goes in the middle most often.

Since piles shrink, sometimes quickly, you want to stick it in from the top rather than the side to avoid bending it.

You might have a better chance in finding one at a nursery or garden store, rather than a WalMart or Lowes.

I still use mine after twelve years. Say you made a new pile two weeks ago and want to know if the core is still hot enough (130F or higher) to put some smelly fish parts inside. If it was only 100F I would dig a hole and bury the fish in the ground.

o

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 19:13

Mine is a Reotemp. It's been a bit abused but still works great with no problems. I did tie a long piece of red surveyors tape to it to help remind me it is still in the windrow.

Lloyd

Here is a link that might be useful: Reotemp website

o

Thanks to pt03 for recommending the Riotemp. It's affordable AND made in the USA! (The other USA-made one I found was $90!)

o

• Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 6:35

I also have a ReoTemp. It's very solid and looks like it'll last a long time. It's temperature readings jive with a different compost thermometer I also have. I first bought a moisture meter made by ReoTemp and I was so impressed with it's quality (extra heavy duty shaft) that I wanted to try their compost thermometer ...same quality, same heavy duty construction. Read the reviews on Amazon and you'll see why I bought these.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here