Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rfonte649

Bokashi

rfonte649
13 years ago

For those of us who are interested in Bokashi, this is a lot of info on the subject. I am in no way associated or sell this product, but do use it. I believe it is a very economical way to recycle, and u don't need the expensive kit to get started. Very easy to make on your on.

http://bokashiworld.wordpress.com/category/bokashi-in-the-world/

Here is a link that might be useful: Bokashi

Comments (10)

• ceth_k
    13 years ago

Do we really need a Japanese version of this? This really repels me.

• rfonte649
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Please explain, what repels u?

• borderbarb
    13 years ago

I think of Bokashi as 'composting for apartment dwellers'. Since I have space for more taditional composting methods, more complex methods seem alien to me.[outside my comfort zone?] But everyone's methods can gross others out. My daughter calls my compost pile the "rat feeding station" [not true, but that's her take. the whole rotting matter 'thing' grosses her out][SHRUG] Oh well, to each his own. My take on Bokashi, along with its usefulness as a way to deal with food wastes, is that ANYTHING that helps people to become better stewards of our earth, is all to the good. When I looked at the blog, seemed like a lot of people finding joy/pleasure in becoming more self reliant.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    13 years ago

Bokashi is not only for food composting, but for septic tank action.

• piedmontnc
    13 years ago

I don't see how bokashi would add any microorganisms to the septic tank that wouldn't already be there.

• shebear
    13 years ago

I like bokashi. Our community garden has been playing around with it and I must say it breaks down fast. So now we have another way to cut down on trash and help the soil. So far the city promotes vermicomposting and conventional composting but a few experienced (fanatical) composters have been raising black soldier fly larva and playing with bokashi. Hopefully in the future there will be lots of city promoted options for disposing of food waste other then the trash bin.

Thanks for the link. It's good to see people all over the world looking at their waste disposal.

• rfonte649
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yea shebear, we recycle all our food waste through bokashi or the worm bin. We have one of the sweetest smelling garbage cans on the block.Noting worst than a garbage truck with rotting food in it. Well there are some worst things. We also shred all of our junk mail, but the worms get most of that. The last 2 batches of bokashi was made with sawdust. The next one will be with shredded junk mail.

• ceth_k
    13 years ago

The fact that a non-original concept getting a new redundant original japanese name(as if that would make it larger than life), that's what. Or i could give it my own version of names, lets start with "luluwawa" compost style, with added lime to differentiate it from other style, shall we.

• rfonte649
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like turtles!

• carolynp
    13 years ago

I'm fascinated with bokashi. I've been experimenting with it. It is a far faster method. I think people may give up on traditional compost methods because they are time consuming. Also, has anyone experimented with bokashi with ivy or invasive weeds? I don't compost these at our house because our compost isn't hot enough.