Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Onion scraps in compost?

Posted by mustard_seeds (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 11:57

I have read somewhere not to compost onion peelings - can't remember why it was discouraged. Other places I see people mentioning they add onion scraps. What say you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Onion scraps in compost?

If you can't compost it, it's probably poisonous, nuclear reactive, or an inconvenience due to pests and such. You might be getting confused with advice for vermicompost, as it is said that worms don't like alliums. I've never had any trouble however

o

• Posted by pt03 3 Southern Manitoba (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 12:26

"it's probably poisonous, nuclear reactive, or an inconvenience"

I made a supper like that once!

:-)

They (onion scraps) take a while to break down, but they eventually break down. I throw them in.

Lloyd

o

I turned my pile this weekend and came across something that smelled to high heaven ----feces like !!!---

Turned out to be a partially decomposed onion---my 16 yr old son helping me turn the pile got a kick out of it ----"Dad----did you take a dump in your pile ???!!!"--:)

I had to reassure him I had not gone that far off the deep end ......yet -----

Anyway ---they will decompose but will smell pretty nasty for a while ---keep 'emm covered-------

JB

o

Well, I do not have a worm bin, except for whatever critters might find their way to the compost. So I won't fret if hubby tosses the onion scraps in the bin. He uses the majority of the onion while cooking so hopefully I will not have the same experience as Joebob!

Rachel

o

• Posted by pt03 3 Southern Manitoba (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 13:33

I wanna know how the heck Joe got a 16 Y/O to help him?

That would be something to know and should be put in the FAQs!

Lloyd

o

I have successfully composted onions and other alliums in both traditional and vermicomposting systems. When I'm feeling virtuous, I make a point of cutting them up small before tossing them in, but sometimes I'm lazy. They've never failed to compost.

o

I've added whole onions that start to mold in the cupboard and haven't had a problem w/ them. Occasionally I put in a rotten orange w/ out breaking it up and they will still be around after 2 or 3 turns, very moldy, but don't really do well till they get stomped, or chopped w/ a shovel. The onions on the other hand, I haven't even seen.

o

A very simple rule about what can go into the compost is if you could eat it you can compost it, plus a lot of vegetative material that you would not eat can be composted.

o

Lloyd, I made a supper like that once! ROFL

Actually, I'm sorta convinced that onion scraps help keep some of the critters out of my CP.

Kris

o

• Posted by ajpa z6 se PA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 24, 09 at 9:55

I use a lot of onions & garlic in cooking so they go in the compost bin. Which my 7yo said "smells good", remember?
:D

o

"Actually, I'm sorta convinced that onion scraps help keep some of the critters out of my CP."

That might be why we've never had a problem with critters in our compost - we eat a lot of onions and garlic.

o

Onions and their friends garlic, shallots and leeks all grow underground as bulbs (they're part of the lily family). They have naturally occurring compounds that stave off bacteria and fungi, which helps them survive for a long time underground. Therefore, they aren't the most easily compostable thing in your kitchen...I think the onion has to be very old and "weak" before the bacteria/fungi can win the fight and chomp it up. Onions will compost, it takes longer than it takes a banana peel.

o

I've noticed that onions stick around forever in my compost pile. I assumed it was because they thrive underground so it's like a natuarl growing environment for them.

I've even had growth in some dried up green onions I threw in. The roots actually grew and the stalks turned green again.

o

Came across this -
http://www.terawarner.com/blog/2011/08/an-easy-guide-to-composting/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here