Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood ash/Epsom and worms

Posted by tomtuxman 6bNY (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 2, 10 at 13:08

Will adding wood ash and/or Epsom salts to my compost pile/pit have a good or bad effect on my worm population?

My finished compost tends to be quite acidic, resulting from lots and lots of leaves and pine needles. I need to sweeten it up a bit, and wood ash and Epsom were suggestions.

However, I have a very fine large worm colony in my pile/pit, and I would not want to do anything deleterious to these special helpers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood ash/Epsom and worms

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 2, 10 at 14:33

If the compost pile is healthy and producing compost, I personally would be reluctant to add anything like wood ashes or epsom salts. However, if I was trying to grow something that required alkaline soil, and a pH test showed the soil to be on the acid side, then adding wood ashes to the soil makes sense. It happens that our native soil is alkaline, around 7.6 pH, so we never have to raise the pH with ashes or anything else. Keeping a compost pile working through the Wisconsin winter is a challenge in itself, and therefore I would not want to add anything that might slow it down.

o

Earthworms are not significant digesters of compost, and compost is near neutral when finished even if it is composed of mostly Oak leaves and Pine needles. Wood ashes tend to cause the bacteria that do digest the material you put in to compost to slow down and none of the studies I have seen indicate wood ashes do anything worthwhile to the composting process.
Epsom Salts are Magnesium Sulfate and the only reason to add them would be to correct a lack of Magnesium in your soil, but that would require a lot of Epsom Salts and there are much less expensive ways to do that.
If you have a lot of worms in your compost that may be an indication the material is too wet, since the earthworms need a fairly moist environment to exist.

o

Why not use crushed egg shells?

That should raise the ph a bit. I have also heard it helps the worms lay eggs.

o

I have not played with this question to form an answer. I keep the wood ash in pails only for dipping my new potato quartered seedlings before planting. The crushed egg shells work good for the grit in the worms digestion. Like stones in a birds gizzard. As mentioned above, I would not think that you would have to add anything special. Although the stalls have lime mixed in with the other that gets piled onto the compost as well.

o

If you have wood ash I wouldn't be scared to add some as with everything in moderation

Compost ideally is neutral not acid when its done but that doesn't mean yours isn't to acid

o

Before you add anything, why not have some of your compost tested to see what it's pH is? Microbial activity will sometimes change acidic ingredients to neutral, and if that has happened to your compost, adding ashes might be counter-productive. A little Epsom salts may be beneficial, IF your compost needs it. Since you have lots of leaves in your compost, it's possible that their roots have 'mined' some magnesium from deeper in the soil (if it's there), so adding more might be overdoing it.

Contact your local Cooperative Extension (Agriculture) and ask them who does soil testing, or just look in your Yellow Pages under 'Soil Testing'. Call and ask if they test compost, and the proper way to collect a sample.

Sue

o
RE: Oak leaves/Pine Needles Ashes

Hello ! I was wondering, if I burned all of the needles and oak tree leaves during my "Spring Cleaning" what exactly would the ashes be good for?

o

A lot less then would the leaves and pine needles would be becuase you would burn many of the nutrients that are in those leaves and meedles, a waste. In addition burning them produces prodigous quantities of air pollution.
Compost those leaves and pine needles instead of burning them.

o

Kimm, coud you tell me about the much less expensive ways to raise low Mag? I need to raise it a lot in some of my soils, so I am all ears.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here