Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
EM-1/bokashi question

Posted by awascholl (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 13:25

I've been reading up on bokashi lately, and the method I come across involves getting inoculated rice or wheat bran, and adding it to food scraps.

Has anybody tried submerging their mixture under water? My thought is that it would provide better coverage, and maybe speed up the process. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: EM-1/bokashi question

I think it would slow down or stop the process. You did not say what kind of water, I assume tap water. Tap water contains chlorine residual which kills not only bad organisms, but any good ones as well.

At what point are you suggesting water be added?
I used the rice water rinse and newspaper media method for bokashi. Found this method on the internet described in detail. Sounded simple and no expense was involved, outside of blackstrap molasses.

The only time water was involved was in the first step, rinsing cheap white rice in rain water or tap water that was sitting out for a week. After the rinse water was separated off, I re-rinse the rice and cooked it for dinner.

o

The method you are describing is not the process that's described on the internet. The fellow that has a good site talks about using water and he said it's another process described by another author.

I'm using that process now to compost all of my kitchen scraps over the winter. It's an anerobic process but there is NO odor. A big plus IMO.

I had a little bit of mycillium? culture that I had bought to innocculate my seeds. I used molasses and expanded that and added it to sawdust as my substrate. I'm a woodworker so I have lots of sawdust.

I've just about got one 5 gallon bucket filled and I may start another one. Or if the snow goes away soon I may use it outside in my regular compost.

o

"The method you are describing is not the process that's described on the internet. "

Not sure if Jbraun is referring to to Awascholl or myself, but the internet has more than one method of preparing bokashi.

Some find the 'pickling' odor as objectionable. I don't find it a problem, especially in the basement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here