Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

'Nice' premade wooden composter in CANADA?

I understand it is possible to build an eye appealing wooden composter but I am having a hard time finding one that is pre-made (i.e. comes in parts to be easily assembled) but available for sale in CANADA (better still in Ontario).

Any Ontarians see something similar for sale?

Here is a link that might be useful: wooden composter

Comments (15)

• Lloyd
    12 years ago

DW would shoot me if I had a compost unit that looked better than our furniture.

;-)

Lloyd

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very funny Lloyd :) but many of us live on postage stamp urban properties so that the composter will necessarily be very visible. Because of this I want it to look "presentable". We dont have the space luxury of being able to hide some 'jury rigged' wire mesh or wooden pallet setup and I don't like the green or brown plastic ones.

• bi11me
    12 years ago

I take umbrage at having my pallet composters described as "jury-rigged." They are highly functional, environmentally benign, and rather ruggedly handsome, in the style of Clint Eastwood or Harrison Ford. There's wood ALL OVER THE PLACE in Canada, don't you have a hammer?

• ralleia
    12 years ago

Since this product is made in Canada, it seems to follow that it should be possible to find a distributor *in* Canada.

I would call Green Products (or one of the other online retailers) and get some information about the manufacturer. Then I'd contact the manufacturer and ask how to buy it in Canada.

If that doesn't work, one of the online retailers must surely by willing to ship to Canada. I'm in the U.S. and I buy goods from Canada, U.K., and occasionally even Australia. It's a bit more of a hassle to go through customs, but if it's a unique product, it's gotta be done.

This "torrification" process is a new one on me.

• Lloyd
    12 years ago

:-)

When Pat at Southside offered to keep a supply of compost in town for people to help themselves, I was just gonna dig up some kind of storage bin. Her husband said he didn't want some piece of crap in the yard so he built a bin. Looks better than anything I would have built!

Lloyd

Original Author
    12 years ago

Yup I agree "jury rigged" is not the right phrase for yours and others builds using these materials. It would be "jury rigged" if I did it :(.

But my concern is still true for many of us i.e. space is at a premium so my composter needs to look its best as it will be easily seen by anyone viewing my garden. That's all.

• Lloyd
    12 years ago

Walmart in the U.S. has something pretty darn close. They are pretty. They say it is Canadian wood but a U.S. company.

Lloyd

Here is a link that might be useful: Exaco 90 Gallon ECO Wooden Compost Bin

• robertz6
    12 years ago

If you want a nice appearance over other factors, the compost bin/sitting bench is very nice. I've seen two different types, one was maybe a thousand US, the other about double.

These combination bin/benches probably focus on bench first, composting second. There was a thread on this a while back.

If I had some good long-life lumber suitable for this project, say cypress, I might consider making one. First, though, the three brittle silver maples would have to be cut down, so this expensive bench would not be damaged.

If you want to find more info on the subject, try Searching this forum, all the sites, and a google seach for 'compost bench'.

• jolj
    12 years ago

I left the gate to the back yard open & someone from 4 streets over saw into my back yard.
    They called the county, who told me to cut the weeds down & remove the trash pile in the back yard.
    I explained that the "Weeds" were raspberries & the "Trash" pile was a compost pile.
    I told him (on the phone) that as soon as he showed me a rule against growing fruit or composting in one own back yard, I would remove it.
    That was ten years ago & no ruling has been pass down to me.
    I keep my gate closed, at all times now.

• bi11me
    12 years ago

Channeling Clint again... "Get off my lawn!"

Original Author
    12 years ago

UPDATE:

Here it is set-up yesterday (capacity of 14 cu. ft) and already with 'stuff' in it:

{{gwi:264941}}

• darth_weeder
    12 years ago

congrats
    it sure is a good looking unit

• ralleia
    12 years ago

Rouge,

Now your house looks bad.

;-)
    Kris

Original Author
    12 years ago

Kris, I am considering bringing it inside ;).

• bi11me
    12 years ago

That does it. I'm going into the urban compost bin building business. At $80 a pop I'll be making $2500 a week and have two days off.