Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinking of building a large compost pile?

Posted by kossetx 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 1, 10 at 14:19

Interesting compost pile size observations I came up with. At least to me. :)

I have a cyclone fence compost pile. Its in the shape of a 12 diameter circle, 4 high. It contains mostly leaves although I put as many greens in it as I can find. Being that it is mostly leaves it takes a long time to decompose. I was thinking of adding a second pile so I could alternate piles year by year. I wanted to find how big a 50 section of fence would give me in diameter and while I was doing that I decided to see what the volume of the piles was. Being that they are a cylinder it was easy to find volume but I was somewhat surprised at the results. Using the formula v=3.14 X radius squared X height divided by 27, I came up with the following. All of the sizes listed are rounded off slightly, either up or down.

A 10 diameter pile will contain an unfinished volume of 11.6 cubic yards.
A 11 diameter pile will contain an unfinished volume of 14.0 cubic yards.
A 12 diameter pile will contain an unfinished volume of 16.8 cubic yards.
A 13 diameter pile will contain an unfinished volume of 19.7 cubic yards.
A 14 diameter pile will contain an unfinished volume of 22.8 cubic yards.
A 15 diameter pile will contain an unfinished volume of 26.2 cubic yards.
A 16 diameter pile will contain an unfinished volume of 29.8 cubic yards.

A 50 length of chain link fence will yield a 16 diameter pile, 4 high.
A 50 length of chain link fence will yield 2, 8 diameter piles 4 high, each containing 7.4 cu yards of unfinished compost.

Probably more than many folks need but I use all I can get. I still buy some. Hope it helps someone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinking of building a large compost pile?

• Posted by pt03 3 Southern Manitoba (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 1, 10 at 20:30

Large piles can be fun but one has to be aware of the potential for anaerobic conditions developing especially in a hot pile.

This bin has a twenty four foot circumference and holds about 7 cubic yards if filled to heaping. Fresh air entrainment to the centre is unlikely so either frequent turning, or some means to get air into the pile is almost a necessity.

Once one gets into that kind of volumes it may be best to think of windrows.

Lloyd

o

Lloyd, went to your flickr page. Amazing pictures. Is that your own operation? If so, where do you get the compostables? And you had mentioned before that you don't garden. What do you do with the compost?

o

Tue, Feb 2, 10 at 1:11

Hi Kim, Ya that's my hobby. My brother is the mechanic/welder guy, I'm the doofus coming up with the ideas and doing the composting.

I posted a brief summary over in this thread (towards the end).

I used to have a garden when DW was more able but haven't in a few years.

Lloyd

o

Me personally, I use a tractor to turn my pile. It have a 8' gate on one side to allow access. Even if you didn't turn, there is nothing wrong with the pile going anarobic. It still makes compost. Your ideas of winrows are just that, your ideas. I was mearly giving people ideas on volumes of cylinder containment.

o

Tue, Feb 2, 10 at 9:34

"there is nothing wrong with the pile going anarobic"

I disagree.

"Your ideas of winrows are just that, your ideas."

Well, not exactly my idea, but, okay.

Lloyd

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here