Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bondo2

Alkaline soil

bondo2
13 years ago

Hi,

I have a soil were almost nothing grows and plants have very small roots. I did a simple test with the soil and vinegar and the result is fizz sound so I guess it is Alkaline (I used to burn wood in there). I heard that the fix is sulphur, can I use magnesium sulphate ?, is there an organic option ?

Comments (8)

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

What are you trying to grow? Lots of plants do well in alkaline soil so maybe you have other issues?

Karen

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    13 years ago

Here is a whole site on soil in Egypt by "fao.org" but I don't know who fao.org may be.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Depends on how alkaline the soil is......have you done a proper pH test? If no soil testing kits available, litmus paper - usually available at pharmacies - can be used. Mix the soil sample with distilled water -- if the solution turns the paper bright blue, it is alkaline, although you won't be able to determine exactly how alkaline without a soil pH test kit.

By far, most plants prefer slightly acidic to nearly neutral soils - 6.3 to 7.2 pH. The number of plants that prefer truly alkaline soil is rather limited and are often restricted to very xeric or desert plants, as these situations tend to feature more alkaline conditions. Unfortunately, it is much more difficult to neutralize an alkaline soil than it is an acidic soil. Sulfur is the recommended amendment but ammonium sulfate, iron sulfates, aluminum sulfate, magnesium sulfate can all work to some degree. Adding large quantities of organic matter is probably your best bet, but no amendment will be a permanent fix. You might be better off growing in raised beds or in containers where you can exercise some control over soil pH than to attempt serious inground plantings.

Wood ashes act to increase pH. Is there another area you can garden where no burning has taken place or no ash residue? If so, it might make sense to test there to see if the alkaline conditions are uniform throughout the soil or just the result of repeated wood burning in one area.

• bpgreen
    13 years ago

magnesium sulfate is not the same as soil sulfur. It may lower the pH a little, but not much.

Also, you may find yourself fighting a losing battle unless you plan to use the sulfur on a regular basis. In arid areas, soils tend to get alkaline and attempts to lower the pH usually end up being temporary.

I agree with Karen. Try to find things that will grow in the soil you have. On another forum here, somebody told me that it is easier to try to get plants that are adapted to my soil than to try to get soil that is adapted to my plants.

• bpgreen
    13 years ago

I just saw that you used to burn wood there. I realize that you're not talking about just the native soil, but native soil that was made more alkaline by the wood ashes.

Adding organic matter will help buffer the soil and help bring it closer to neutral, but soil sulfur would probably be faster.

Soil sulfur works best if you can dig it into the soil and water it in immediately afterward. It would probably help to add some compost. The sulfur acidifies the soil by combining with water to become sulfurous acid and/or sulfuric acid. It can take a fairly long time for this to take effect (months, if I remember correctly).

• bondo2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all who replied and here are my answers
    @kqcrna parts of the garden is lawn (which grows very weak) and am trying to plant some herbs and veggies (radish as an example grows all above the soil)

@gardengal48 & bpgreen my soil test was mainly with baking soda and vinegar, I will do the test on different areas later today or tomorrow to see if I get the same result. I tried burying fruits and veggies remains in the soil which enhanced the texture of the soil but still the same growing problem

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Depending on how serious your gardening intentions are, it may be worthwhile to have a more comprehensive soil test done. It would confirm exactly how alkaline your soil may be as well as indicate other areas that may be hampering good plant growth and that need addressing. I have no idea how hard it would be for you to pursue this in Egypt, but surely there must be some agency that is responsible for agricultural/horticultural assistance.

Barring any further determination of soil texture, nutrient composition and actual pH, adding as much organic matter as you can manage will help to improve exisitng conditions whatever they are and buffer extremes in pH. Compost or composted manures would be ideal.

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

bondo2, I won't pretend that I know anything about Egyptian soil or gardening there. But I still think that you might have other issues, too, besides pH. Moreover, without knowing just how alkaline it is, it would be impossible to guess how much sulfur might be needed to correct the pH. A good complete soil test would be your best bet. Is there somewhere where you can get a soil analysis?

Many plants will grow in alkaline soil. The fact that nothing will grow in your garden just sounds incriminating, like there might be another problem. It could be a disease or pest, like insects. It could be other nutrient deficiencies or any number of things. Only a soil analysis can diagnose it.

In the meantime, compost or other organic matter won't hurt and just might help.

Karen