Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground tree stump--compost or mulch?

Posted by kathy9norcal CA 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 17:14

We just had the stump of a recently cut-down Bradford Pear tree ground out. It is mixed with potting soil from a nearby bed. I could use it as mulch or could add it to one of our composters. I would prefer it as mulch due to the drought. How much nitrogen would I need to add to the soil underneath if I use it as mulch?
I would like to mulch a railroad tie flower bed. I am going to take out the plants and amend the soil in the bed and replant. I can add the nitrogen when I do this. Mostly daylilies and roses.

Or would it be really better to put in in my compost bins?

Thanks ahead of time for any advice or warnings.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground tree stump--compost or mulch?

Wood mulch that sits on top of the soil has very little negative nitrogen tie up. The problen comes when you till wood products into the soil, not when they are used as mulch.

o

This material IMO would best be piled in a corner & gradually added to compost batches. When the shavings are gone there will be left a rich, worm-filled spot in which to plant a nice perennial or start a bed.
If compost & other light organic matl. (crushed leaves, leaf mold, worm castings etc.) are added on a frequent basis I dont think the nitrogen issue will be a problem in a well amended raised bed. If this problem is noticed consider regular fish emulsion applications (NPK 5-1-1). Frequent (monthly in my case) organic matl. input IMO makes this a non-issue. Never stop composting! :)
Hope that helps.

o

"How much nitrogen would I need to add to the soil underneath if I use it as mulch? "

None ... wood sitting on top of the spoil is not going to suck up much nitrogen. The moisture savings from a thick layer of wood chips that take a long time to decompose is amazing.

I've used 4-6 inches of wood chips as mulch for shrubs and vegetable beds and it's great.

o

Well, mulch it is! And it comes at a good time, too. Thanks for the advice. Paleo, your idea is good too, I really like it. But--I have a California style yard, not very big. There is not more than a square foot or two left to plant in, certainly not an empty corner. I have been hopeless addicted to roses and dayliies for too long . . . .

o

The choice would be to use the material on top as mulch, or to use it as a compost ingredient. Most or all the stump wood material I've seen is in big pieces, so I would not use it as a compost ingredient.

Some might choose to use it as pathway material, not too close to any wood structures.

o

I agree with using grindings as a top dressing. If it is very fine textured, like saw dust, I'd be tempted to compost or age it first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here