Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spoiled Hay

Posted by smdmt z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 19:01

Aside for potential weeds, anyone have a problem with using spoiled hay for vegetable garden mulch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spoiled Hay

I use it all the time and never had a problem and generally the price is right.

o

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 19:23

An organic guy around here had problems with 'ditch hay' that had been treated with some of those long lasting ingredients. He had fed it to his horses and used the manure in his garden but the chemicals still caused him issues. If you can ascertain if there had been any weed control done and what products it might be worth asking.

Lloyd

o

Best if broken up & mixed into something else to make that mulch.

o

The only problem one might have is with the mold spores that develop in that spoiled hay. They are not a problem in, or on, your garden but may be if you inhale them.
Spoiled hay and ditch hay are two very different things.

o

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 8:08

"Spoiled hay and ditch hay are two very different things."

I wouldn't have thought it would have been necessary to point out that spoiled hay can come from anywhere including ditches. Apparently I was incorrect in that assumption.

The point I was trying to get across is to know the source and what, if anything, the hay might have been treated with whilst it was growing.

Lloyd

o

Thanks for your opinions! Those dang chemicals!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here