Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best use of fresh woodchips

Posted by thedarkness 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 20:56

what would you say is the best use of fresh woodchips? ive put them as a base layer in a lasagna, worked well. ive used in paths, looked nice, and used in compost when lacking browns (took months to break down). but what would you say are your favorite ways to use them? i have access to pretty much as much as i want, so nearly anything is a good idea.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best use of fresh woodchips

Long-lasting mulch and path coverings, and mixed with grass clippings to compost without going slimy.

I compost them too, but only when I have finished the first choices.

o

As mulch.

o

Mulch. Put it down about 3-4 inches thick, and it lasts a few years, and then put down another 3-4 inches.

o

I wish I could locate some wood chips.

Last year, I got a pickup truck full and used them between my raised beds & as mulch. They've since broken down quite a bit and I'd love to add a second layer.

o

I have gotten wood chips from tree trimmers who keep the lines clear for the power company. When they are working close to my house, I have found them happy to drop them off since it is close and easy. I just stop and ask.

I get wood shavings from woodworkers, and sawdust from a local sawmill. The sawmill sells sawdust for animal bedding, but any that has gotten wet is free for the taking.

I use all of these as mulch in mixed borders and on paths. I use the wood shavings, which tend to be fluffier, as a heavy layer over vegetable crops I want to winter over in the ground, and then remove them in the spring for reuse in garden paths.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here