Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alpaca Manure (really new to this!)

Posted by sjdancer Vermont (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 17, 12 at 21:49

Hi there! Tried a veggie garden last year and it did ok, didn't get nearly enough sun though, so we're moving it this year.

Had a question regarding alpaca manure (we're in small town VT and I can get my hands on some free) in the veggie garden. I guess I was wondering how much I should add to the soil (how big a layer)?

Also, would it be harmful or beneficial to add it to the soil now, even though it's only February? If I'm able to add it now, just to have things more prepared (I'm a stresser!!), I'm fairly certain I can get more come spring to add on top if necessary.

Thanks all & sorry for my silly questions, I just want to do this right as it's a great experience for my 3 year old.

: )
Sara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alpaca Manure (really new to this!)

You can add it now but if the ground is still frozen you may lose a lot of nutrients to spring run-off. Better to compost it in large piles and add it later when the soil is easier to work and drier. Alpaca manure is easy to work with. You can use a lot - a 4" layer wouldn't be too much. As with any manure, you want it to be well composted or in the ground 90 days or more before harvest, especially with root crops or leafy greens, so composting it now will give you a head start. It will do wonders for your soil.

o

Alpaca, Llama, Vicuna manure is about similar in composition as sheep or goat and like all animal manures can be one of the additions to soil, when combined with vegetative waste. Just like when making a compost pile you should be adding 3 parts vegetative waste to your soil for every 1 part of animal manure to get the most out of that manure.
Whether you can add anything to your soil now depends. Is your soil workable now? if it is too wet to work, as mine is, don't. If is is snow covered, as mine is this morning, don't. Simply spreading the manure around and letting it lay on top of your soil is a large waste of valuable nutrients because those nutrients will simply evaporate into the air. Any animal manure spread over soil should be worked in as soon as possible afterwards to get as much of the nutrients the manure contains into the soil.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 20:58

Did know of someone on another site that has used Alpaca Manure for years, even had red worms in it.
She lived in S.California.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here