Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composting Walnut and almond peels

Posted by ottawan_z5a Canada (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 14, 11 at 23:20

We collect kitchen stuff for composting including almond and walnut peels. Is there any issue with using these peels in the compost (other than it takes long time for walnut to compost)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composting Walnut and almond peels

Do you mean the fleshy outer coating, or the hard shells?

A lot of fiber artists are eager to get their hands on the green hulls of walnuts, because they make a great natural dye...

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 15, 11 at 12:07

lisascenic, Any of the artists in S.C. I can get them some hulls.
The only thing is that to much tann in the black walnut can harm some plants. A small amount should be okay.
There is another thread on Blk. walnut leaves & limbs for compost.

o

I meant the hard shell cracked by the walnut cracker before eating.

o

All members of the walnut family - Juglandaceae - contain juglone, a natural chemical that has allelopathic properties that can prevent or hinder the growth of certain sensitive plants (the tomato family or Solanaceae is very sensitive to this effect). The highest concentrations are contained and emitted by the tree's roots but the chemical is present in all parts of the plant. Typically, a thorough composting operation will negate any allelopathic effects but it may take a significant time for these shells to breakdown and decompose. They do provide for aeration in the pile and that can accelerate the procees.

The good new is that English walnuts (Juglans regia), which are the most common type for eating and cooking, contain much less of this chemical than do black walnuts, Juglans nigra. In addition to walnuts, pecans and hickories have similar allelopathic properties.

Almonds have no negative effects but again, they can take some time to breakdown and decompose. Nut shells make an excellent and rather longlasting mulch - hazel (filbert) shells are very popular in my area for this purpose. Just expect to have a lot of squirrels visiting to clean out any remnants of the nut meat that might remain!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here