Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
liquid coffee and paper towels

Posted by rookie09 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 17, 12 at 23:38

I am going to have way more browns (paper towels) than I can match with greens. Is it possible to use leftover coffee as a green. I am already using the grounds (55 gallon/week). I would think that the coffee would work somewhat but don't want to go to the trouble if it isn't going to help.

Thanks,
Keith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: liquid coffee and paper towels

Is that a misprint, or are you really collecting 55 Gallons of coffee grounds?!? That should be enough for a few hundred pounds of paper towels. The left-over coffee will work as a nitrogen addition, but it would probably add too much liquid to your pile.

o

No, not a misprint. It's a large plant and we like our coffee and that leads to the paper towel.
I've got a good mix of sawdust, leaves, filters and UCGs with plenty of sawdust waiting to add.
Now they want me to add 200 gallons of paper towel to the mix weekly.
I am just looking for an easy add and hadn't heard of anyone using the coffee full strength.

o

Most everything I have seen about any nutrients in coffee tells me that they are very low, trace amounts of protein, fats, etc., so adding liquid coffee to your compost will do very little to help the bacteria digest anything. If too much liquid coffee is added to compost that could dispace the air the bacteria digesting the material need to work so they won't.

o

I can't imagine it would hurt anything, so long as the pile didn't get too soggy. I rarely add any liquid (maybe a little urine) to my pile now that it's up and running.

I suspect those UCGs will have plenty of moisture still left in them to overcome the dry paper towels. If not, then using the coffee seems like a sensible thing to do.

You could always brew some compost tea or add a little to your watering can.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 21:05

ffee Chaff as compost

clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings
Posted by jolj (My Page) on Fri, Dec 24, 10 at 3:30
That is steam, not dust, the waste coffee is in a heat & only a week or so old.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee waste

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here