Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you replenish your beds with existing perennials?

Posted by ladyrose65 6bNJ (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 1:07

I usually did not have any returning perennials in my little garden spot. Now that I do. How do I recondition the soil? My soil looks terrible. But, If I start double digging Alfafa and bone meal; I know I will damage or uproot my new perennials. I've got lots of Penstomen and Campunula's.

How do I work around this?

Sincerely,
Avis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you replenish your beds with existing perennials?

Top dressing/applying compost works just fine.

It takes a little while, but in most areas water/worms/microbes/animals/gravity/etc does it's thing and works what you put on top down a few inches in the existing soil. In many areas you can see a difference in the top few inches of soil in just a season or year.

While it's busy working it's way deeper into the existing soil improving it's physical properties, the water/rainfall from the top leeches nutrients down into the existing soil keeping it around in the root zone a while...added benefit.

o

Side dressing, carefully placing compost, or what ever, next to or near to the existing plants but not on top of them will work. You would not want to cover the growth crowns of the existing plants.

o

Alfalfa tea is a great fertilizer for perennials. I also bury raw kitchen scraps between my perennials. Both of those methods encourage earthworms who leave the best fertilizer there is - worm castings.

Always use an organic mulch such as shredded bark which will gradually break down and improve the soil. If you have grass clippings they work really well as the worms like them.

Here's a pic of my garden after 3 weeks of neglect last summer. Fortunately it rained but I hadn't done any fertilizing or any care. Just years of regular application of alfalfa tea, compost, and mulch.

o

Thank You NC-Crn, Kimmsr, and Luckygal. I will take all of you advice into considertion.

Luckygal, your garden is beautiful.

o

I'm a big believer in mulch... Aside that, just top dress with compost.

o

Top dressing may smother the plants, especially if they are growing when top dressing is applied. Side dressing, putting the compost or other material along side the plant, is a better choice since that will not cover the plant.

o

Every spring I cover the beds with 4 inches of composted leaves. In July I add 2 inches of shredded limb mulch. Then in October I add two more inches of shreeded limbs. The soil in my beds had changed from haed red clay to porous, black, rich soil as a result. In the spring I usualy clear away the mulch from directly touching the plants, creating a depression around the plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here