Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil tests

Posted by TrollKingster none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 1:14

Hi as I am new to gardening I do know that testing your soil is important in order to find the right balance of nutrients depending on what you are growing. What tests do I have to do? I've heard of ph tests but how do you find what types of nutrients you need to add? I would like to keep this in a budget and not send my soil to labs etc. Any specific products mentioned would be helpful to get a better understanding in what to look for when buying.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil tests

For acuracy's sake you should have the analissis done by a lab . Ph,N-P-K and organic % are the primary targets. You can specify others like micro-nutrents for additional cost.
It is money well spent,espicialy for new to you soil. Instructions for collecting a sample are included by the lab.

o

A typical soil test will show your soils pH, levels of Phosphorus, Potash, Calcium, Magnesium, the Cation Exchange Capacity, CEC, the ability of the soil to hold and release various nutrients, and the amount of organic matter. The garden soil test kits sold in the garden centers do not show most of that.
Organic matter in soil influences the CEC, provides the environment the Soil Food Web needs to function and those are the wee buggers that make nutrients available to the plants. So an important part of any soil test is how much organic matter is in the soil and those garden center test kits do not show that either.
Many state universities, through the Cooperative Extension Service, offer fairly inexpensive soil test that do include that information so contact yours. The link below can help you find yours. Just click on your state, or go to the list, to find that.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Cooperative Extension

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 11:20

Trying to save money by using a test you can buy in a store is false economy. Those tests are terrible and a waste of money. Save money by sending a sample to a lab instead of having to test twice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here