Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me formulate an outdoor coir based container mix

Posted by filmost 8b (Japan) (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 1:36

-- Sorry, didn't realize there was a container gardening forum, going to repost this over there, although by all means please reply if you have ideas since technically I am trying to build an all organic mix --

So I am looking to plant out my spring garden here in about another week or so. Mostly peppers with some tomatoes and other odd things here and there.
Many things are going to go straight into the ground, but I will also be planting some into containers (fabric and plastic) for easy over wintering later on.

I currently have at my disposal coir, worm compost (non-powdered), leaf compost, high phosphorus guano, and perlite. I can also easily acquire vermiculite, bark compost, and various manures.

What would make a good combo for use in outdoor containers?

This post was edited by filmost on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 1:41

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me formulate an outdoor coir based container mix

I would ordinarily suggest you not put any compost in your mix, but since you're going organic I would go for a 3 part coir + 1 part organic compost mix + 1 part perlite (vermiculite would be marginally better, but since you have perlite it's not a big deal) for a 60/20/20 mix overall (by volume, not weight).

Watch your watering, both over and under watering...and mix the container mix very well before putting it into containers. Soil + soiless container mixes are a bit more tricky to monitor than a total soiless container mix.

This isn't a "slam dunk" mix...it's just what I would do if I had your materials and I was planning on growing them with organic methods. Ordinarily I wouldn't put compost anywhere near a container mix, much less 20%, but without chemical fertilizers the nutrient leeching vs availability can get a little harsh and the organic fraction will help hold a bit of it around in the root zone a little longer. I would also err on the side of "too little" compost in that mix over "too much" if you're measuring out the parts by sight.

o

Thanks! What would be your ideal "slam dunk" mix?

o

I grow an oraganic garden i have a video on youtube just posted and has instructions on how to mix up a batch of soil just like what you need feel free to check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: TheItalian Garden

o

Very cool Jonathan, checked it out and looks exactly like what I am looking to do. I will probably add a few more things in there just to keep things more hands off. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here