Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rabbit manure versus alfalfa meal

Posted by roguejim 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 3:40

If I was to hand till either rabbit manure, or alfalfa meal into the top 4" of a raised bed, which would be the best soil amendment?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rabbit manure versus alfalfa meal

What does the soil need? Rabbit manure analyzes out to about 2-1-0.06 while Alfalfa meal analyzes out to about 2-.05-2. Both are sources of slow release Nitrogen, but the rabbit manure is better in soils with adequate levels of vegetative waste mixed in as well so the Soil Food Web has something more the chew on.
It is not so much an either or question as it is what does the soil need.

o

If you were planting immediately, and the rabbit manure hasn't been composted, I'd go with the alfalfa meal. Much less likely to burn plants in my experience.

o

Rabbit manure is considered a "cold" manure because the Nitrogen is not all that readily available as it is in Horse and Poultry manure and is unlikely to "burn" plants. However, because of the potential for disease pathogens in manures the recommendations for using manures in the vegetable garden are to apply them 90 days from harvest for above ground crops and 120 days from harvest for in ground crops.

o

My rabbit manure has always burned any plant it has been applied to because it is always mixed with plenty of pee. I suppose it would be fine if the rabbit owner was able to get the bunnies to pee and poop in separate places, but most of the time that's impossible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here