Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wanting advice on making my own compost soil

Posted by shan04 none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 9:27

I am new to gardening this will be my first one, I live in the mid west and we have very hard red dirt clay soil so I was thinking of doing a few raised bed gardens for my vegetables. I was thinking of using a home grown soil mixture for my beds. I have goats horses and chickens and was thinking of doing a combo of old horse manure, chicken poo, very fine straw,and some of our dirt that's mixed into my old manure compost pile. Would this be a good compost type soil to grow my veggies in? I've heard that this stuff is but didn't know if it would be ok all mixed together and as the main materials. I'm growing potatoes, peppers,tomatoes,okra,watermelon,cantaloupe, and corn. I've started all my seeds inside and they're are growing great so far. Any advice would be helpful, I don't want to spend a ton of money on buying a 100 bags of the dirt from home depot if I need to buy a few to mix in I don't mind doing that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wanting advice on making my own compost soil

Sounds like your manure pile is 'old' and therefore completely composted. Not sure about the others. Fresh chicken poo for example, can burn plants with too much N. All these ingredients would be good after composting, just make sure you get both greens and browns in the pile.

Assuming the manure/soil pile is the only one that's well aged, I would spread that where you want to garden and till it in. Start small or buy some extra compost if you don't have at least an inch or two on the ground. This fall, you'll have compost made during the summer, so layer on or dig that in. Things will improve each year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here