Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil has Very high Phosphorous...why?

Posted by topsiebeezelbub z7 Al (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 9:34

Just got my soil tested and everything was neutral, except phosphorous which was very high. I have been using fresh manure from my pet rabbit. I was under the impression that rabbit manure did not need to be aged like other manure. I was worried about too much Nitrogen, at the expense of flower and fruit production (all leaves) but never even considered phosphorous. Have I messed up the soil? Should I stop using bunny pooh? I have heavy clay and add lots of compost every year...the lot is flat, so no run off. I grow all sorts of flowers and veg. Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil has Very high Phosphorous...why?

Phosphorus is quite immobile in soil. Along with natural mineral soil contributions, animals (and humans) tend to poop out a lot of it.

That said, even in very high phosphorus soils, toxicity is very rare. You're more likely to see copper and zinc deficiency symptoms on plants because of the increased plant site competition between phosphorus/copper/zinc rather than any actual phosphorus toxicity issues. This is generally only an issue in high pH soils, though, and it's probably not going to be an issue in Alabama.

o

My backyard tested very high in P too. Several previous owners had big dogs and I assume the back yard was fenced in for them. I have always wondered it that was the connection.

o

A common source of high Phosphorus in home gardens is repeated additions of manures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here