Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
perlite too chunky?

Posted by njitgrad 6A/6B New Jersey (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 10:33

I was getting the ingredients for my 5-1-1 mix ready yesterday when I noticed something after dumping the bag of perlite into a clean trash can (for ease of access when I need to make a batch).

I noticed that the perlite was not comprised of fine particles throughout. There were quite a bit of chunky pieces. Do I need to crumble these up?

Also, I was careful not to breathe in the dust when dumping it into the can. It there anyway to reduce the amount of dust?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: perlite too chunky?

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 11:25

I typically poke holes in the bottome of the bag and tear a hole inthe top of the bag. Then I stick a hose in the top and fill the bag with water and let it drain. That will pretty thoroughly wet the perlite and eliminate the dust.

There should be big chunky bits. Bigger is generally better. Unless you got the crazy big perlite that I have only seen at hydroponic shops, it's just fine.

o
RE: perlite too chunky?

Maybe I should drill 1/4" holes in the bottom of the can, fill it with water and allow it to slowly drain? And then repeat as necessary.

It would have to be hosed down rather than just having water dumped in from a large bucket though because it will just float right? Unfortunately I haven't taken my hoses out of storage yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here