Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffe ground

Posted by JCTsai 8B - Yulee, FL (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 10:48

I can get about 25 gallons coffee ground each week to add to my soil, do I need add lime? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffe ground

depends on what your soil ph is and what you plan on growing.

o

I would use them for the compost, before adding them in the garden. I believe that the compost can almost neutralize and buffer the starting raw material. The compost is much more forgiving than the garden. For example, You could throw fresh manure on the compost and have a perfect compost, you throw the same fresh manure on the garden, you could end up with disease wiping out all your garden.

o

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 14:18

Additionally, how large of an area are you talking?

25 gallons per week is a lot of UCGs.

Lloyd

o

Coffee grounds, as determined by numerous soil test labs, are in the 6.8 range, fairly close to neutral. You will not need to add lime because of the coffee grounds but other factors may require that you do. Have a good, reliable soil test done before adding any lime, however.

o

i had gotten about 100+ lbs from starbucks over the winter.
i had mixed it in the soil in 2 areas i plan on planting Papaya.

Its not bad if you break it up and mix it in well, and it has a couple of months to break down.
some of the stuff on top turned a brown (lighter) color, it seemed it went through a chemical change. that was the stuff in the sun though.

They seem to do well when mixed in with leaves and dry grass.

supposedly there is a chemical in it that can stunt growth
so i (now) only use after composting, and less than %50 grounds.

theres a few threads here that may be of interest...

growth inhibitor in uncomposted coffee grounds?

Here is a link that might be useful: forums2.gardenweb.com coffee+grounds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here