Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer poop

Posted by tomtuxman 6bNY (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 10:57

A brief reconnaissance of my yard this a.m. revealed much interesting where the snow had receded. Specifically, piles of deer poop.

I've raked/swept this up in the past and added to my compost pile and left it to rot.

Question: can this be added directly to planting beds or is it too hot and must be composted first? I vaguely recall a discussion that rabbit poop was OK to add directly to planting beds. Bunnies are deer are both vegetarians, does that make a difference?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer poop

Are you talking vegetable planting beds or flowers? I would feel comfortable spreading it thinly directly near ornamentals, but if for edibles I would compost it first to reduce pathogenic organism risk.

o

Rabbits usually pee where they poop. Therefore it is almost always mixed with urine and is actually quite high in ammonia that can burn plants.
Don't know about deer poop though.

o

According to the Colorado State University extension service, deer manure is particularly high in E Coli, which in turn is perhaps the hardiest (time-wise) of manure pathogens. Cryptosporidium and Giardia are also biggies with deer and they take a very long time to be destroyed without actively managed composting.

o

You might be more exposed to any pathogens by raking up and handling the pellets then just leaving them where they are.

I routinely have deer in my vegetable garden over the winter, gnawing on anything left they find edible, and there are probably 50 piles of pellets in the beds and on the paths. I just leave 'em - with the worms, other bugs and water, they disintegrate very quickly.

As for worrying about any pathogens, wash or cook your food. We live in a bacterial soup - that fly that just landed on your tomato -- where was he before he showed up?

o

Why is a deer not dead itself because of having E.coli bacteria?

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 18:36

Escherichia coli is a normal inhabitant of mammal intestines that usually is not harmful, and in fact can be beneficial.

There are some pathogenic strains that cause disease but the presence of E. coli doesn't mean that the animal is diseased.

Claire

o

Why should it be harmful for a human in that case?

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 20:11

It depends on which E. coli strains are present in the deer - the particular strains may or may not be harmful for humans, but you're better off assuming there may be pathogenic organisms present and take precautions.

david52 said "As for worrying about any pathogens, wash or cook your food. We live in a bacterial soup - that fly that just landed on your tomato -- where was he before he showed up? "

Claire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here