Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cheap worm-bag bin

Posted by mendopete 8CA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 11:46

About a year ago I purchased 10 "grow-bags" at the flea market for $1 each. These 12 gallon fabric bags allow air flow to roots when used as a planting pot. I thought they would make nice worm bins to give away.

After soaking in some water, about a pound of squirm and bedrun was added to 4 of these. Three were given away and one was left outside on a block in full shade. The top folds in to keep out unwanted visiters, weighted by a brick.

This bin got occasional fed until July, and the bag was quite active. After that it only got meager additions about once a month. It required very little water.

Last week , the nearly full bag was split into 6 bags. The material was uniformly damp, and worms were scattered throughout, but the top was most active. To my surprise, the bag was still sound with no rot present on the bottom.

This bag is similar in principle to a wormy inn. Lots of air. I often see inn users complain about moisture retention. This bag held moisture VERY well.

I will soon try a sandbag wormery with a couple bags sitting in the garage. I suspect moisture retention will not be as good, but we will see.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cheap worm-bag bin

Sorry, wrong forum! Does anyone know if a post can be moved to another forum?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here