Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcintosh_gw

Compostumbler and Wabbit PoopW/shavings

marcintosh
12 years ago

Hello all - I'm new here but not new to posting in forums. I'm new to Compostumblers but not new to gardening. So far so good.

I've received several partial bags of rabbit poop and there are a great deal of wood shavings and other (organic) debris like straw.

I have NO experience in composting this and am wondering, what would be a good percentage or ratio of Poop to Wood shavings/Straw? Seeing as how they're rabbits there's quite a bit of urine in there as well. My big concern is that I don't want to start this and have it all give up and have a huge 200lb mess in the back yard - I've read the book from Compostumbler and they're sort of mum on this

Does the rabbit poop count as a green? right?

I'm also considering buying a bag of compost just to kick things off in the right direction.

The tumbler is still empty but the weather is really warming up so if you have the odd moment to smarten me up I'd appreciate it, that, and ANY help you care to offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks muchly-

M.

Comments (4)

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

Manure is definitely a green. Wood shavings are a very strong brown. I would try composting your mixture as is and see what happens, observe and adjust. In fact, if it's not freezing out, your bags of stuff are already composting. :-D

Fill up your bin and turn and check it every few days. Adjust moisture to damp, not drippy, not dry. If it gets warm but does not smell, perfect. If it does very little and there's wood left after the manure seems to be all turned to compost, you need more manure. If it smells bad, too much manure, add more browns.

The tumbler is a batch composter, so you'll need a place to 'store' additional manure/shavings. If you continually add, the batch will never get done. A simple wire mesh bin will work, or just a pile. Beware sealed plastic bags, lack of air will make it smell.

• marcintosh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Manure is definitely a green.
    Good
    Wood shavings are a very strong brown.
    Good
    I would try composting your mixture as is and see what happens, observe and adjust.
    OK
    In fact, if it's not freezing out, your bags of stuff are already composting. :-D
    Ah
    Fill up your bin and turn and check it every few days. Adjust moisture to damp, not drippy, not dry. If it gets warm but does not smell, perfect. If it does very little and there's wood left after the manure seems to be all turned to compost, you need more manure. If it smells bad, too much manure, add more browns.
    Ah-ha
    The tumbler is a batch composter, so you'll need a place to 'store' additional manure/shavings. If you continually add, the batch will never get done.
    Oh, yeah huh
    A simple wire mesh bin will work, or just a pile.
    Ok
    Beware sealed plastic bags, lack of air will make it smell.
    AH-HA!
    Thanks for the smarts. Initially I was a bit disappointed in the ratio of P/S but I'll give it a try and just see what happens. When I had rabbits as a kid I had "The Straight Poop" - no sawdust or straw-so when I peeked in the bags I was surprised. Now it seems I may have half my work done for me. We'll just have to see. and stop being a bit too much OCD in the process :-/
    Thanks loads
    M.

• TannimKyraxx
    12 years ago

you know you can add rabbit poo straight to the soil without it burning your plants

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

I will take your word on that Tannim. However it is not a good idea to bury or mix in wood shavings because of the risk of nitrogen depletion in the soil while they decompose. OK to put on top, so the rabbit poo/wood shavings would make a dandy mulch, aside from the aesthetics of looking at used rabbit bedding. :-]